About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Conic Sections chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the conic sections topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Identifying conic sections by their formulas
- Graphing circles
- Writing the equation of an ellipse in standard form
- Deriving the equation of an ellipse from the foci
- Writing the equation of a hyperbola in standard form
- Deriving the equation of a hyperbola from the foci
- Graphing parabolas
- Solving nonlinear systems
Holt McDougal is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. How to Identify a Conic Section by Its Formulas
In algebra, we have a formula for everything. Take a cone and slice it and we have a formula for the shape that results. Watch this video lesson to learn how to distinguish between these formulas.
2. Graphing Circles: Identifying the Formula, Center and Radius
Discover how to graph circles by finding key information like the center and radius. Identify circles by simply looking at the formula, and vice versa.
3. Tangent of a Circle: Definition & Theorems
What happens when a line just barely touches a circle? It's a tangent! In this lesson, we'll learn all about tangents to circles, including a few key theorems. We'll also look at tangent circles.
4. Understanding Circles with Inequalities
In this lesson, we will determine if a given point lies inside, outside, or on the boundary of a circle using the equation of a circle in standard form, with the use of inequality symbols.
5. How to Write the Equation of an Ellipse in Standard Form
In algebra, we have equations that make our life so much easier. Some equations are able to tell us information without hard math. Watch this video lesson to see how the equation of an ellipse does this.
6. Derive the Equation of an Ellipse from the Foci
In this lesson, you're going to learn the definition of an ellipse and foci, the standard forms of the equation for an ellipse, and how to find such an equation when given the foci.
7. The Hyperbola: Definition, Vertices, Foci & Graphing
In this video lesson, we'll learn what a hyperbola is and how to graph one using the standard equation to find the center point, vertices and focus points.
8. How to Write the Equation of a Hyperbola in Standard Form
When it comes to equations in algebra, there is most always a standard form that provides us with useful information. Watch this video lesson to learn how to write the standard form equation of a hyperbola by using information about the hyperbola.
9. Derive the Equation of a Hyperbola from the Foci
This lesson will go over what a hyperbola is and walk through the steps of finding the equation of a hyperbola given just the foci and vertex. After learning the process, we will look at an example of finding a hyperbola equation given this information.
10. How to Write the Equation of a Parabola in Standard Form
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to write the equation of a parabola in standard form when given just two important points from the parabola. Learn what these two points are and how they relate to the parabola.
11. The Parabola: Definition & Graphing
Watch this video lesson to learn what a parabola is and how you can graph it. Find out how to extract useful information from the standard form equation of a parabola to help you graph it.
12. Identifying Conic Sections: General Form & Standard Form
Did you know that if you slice a cone in different ways, you can make a circle, an ellipse, a parabola or a hyperbola? And, did you know that you can express all these shapes with just one general equation?
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Holt McDougal Algebra 2: Online Textbook Help course
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 1: Foundations for Functions
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 2: Linear Functions
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 3: Linear Systems
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 4: Matrices
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 5: Quadratic Functions
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 6: Polynomial Functions
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 7: Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 8: Rational and Radical Functions
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 9: Properties and Attributes of Functions
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 11: Probability and Statistics
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 12: Sequences and Series
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 13: Trigonometric Functions
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 14: Trigonometric Graphs and Identities