About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Trigonometric Graphs and Identities chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the trigonometric graphs and identities topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Graphing sine and cosine
- Graphing sine and cosine transformations
- Graphing the tangent function
- Sum and difference identities
- The double-angle and half-angle identities
- Solving trigonometric equations
Holt McDougal is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Graphing Sine and Cosine
Sine and cosine aren't just for triangles; they can also be waves. See them graphed on the unit circle and then learn how that translates into the sine and cosine waves.
2. Graphing Sine and Cosine Transformations
What happens when we take the sine and cosine wave and transform them? They get bigger, smaller, faster and slower. Find out how in this lesson on sine and cosine wave transformations.
3. Graphing the Tangent Function: Amplitude, Period, Phase Shift & Vertical Shift
Take a look at how the graph of a tangent function and how we can transform it by making a few small changes to its equation. This video shows how to graph the original function and explains its transformations.
4. Graphing the Cosecant, Secant & Cotangent Functions
After watching this video lesson, you will learn what the graphs of the cosecant, secant, and cotangent trigonometric functions look like. You will also learn how to see if these graphs are shifted or transformed.
5. List of the Basic Trig Identities
There are specific trig functions that have very special and very simple relationships with each other. Learn the main one and how you can use it to understand the others.
6. Using Graphs to Determine Trigonometric Identity
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to use graphs to determine whether an equation is a trigonometric identity or not. Learn what you need to look for to determine this.
7. The Negative Angle Identities in Trigonometry
Trigonometric identities are excellent tools in trigonometry. In this lesson, we are going to look at the trigonometric identities that are negative angle identities. We will look at these identities and apply them to various examples.
8. How to Use a Rotation Matrix
Watch this video lesson to see how you can use a rotation matrix to rotate ordered pairs by a certain angle. Also, learn about the special rotation matrices for rotating points by 90 degrees, 180 degrees, and 270 degrees.
9. The Double Angle Formula
When you encounter a doubled angle, there are special formulas that can help you handle trigonometric value. In this lesson, we'll define and practice using the double angle formulas for sine, cosine and tangent.
10. Half-Angle Identities: Uses & Applications
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to use half-angle identities to help you simplify your trig problems and also to help you prove other trig statements.
11. How to Solve Trigonometric Equations: Practice Problems
Trig equations can look like some kind of alien language, but once you get the principles down, they're not too bad. In this lesson, we'll work through some examples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Holt McDougal Algebra 2: Online Textbook Help course
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 1: Foundations for Functions
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 2: Linear Functions
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 3: Linear Systems
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 4: Matrices
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 5: Quadratic Functions
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 6: Polynomial Functions
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 7: Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 8: Rational and Radical Functions
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 9: Properties and Attributes of Functions
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 10: Conic Sections
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 11: Probability and Statistics
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 12: Sequences and Series
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 13: Trigonometric Functions