About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Polynomial Functions chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the polynomial functions topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing polynomials
- Factoring by grouping
- Remainder and factor theorems
- Solving perfectly cubed equations
- Finding rational zeros
- The fundamental theorem of algebra
- Writing polynomial equations
- Graphing cubics, quartics and quintics
Holt McDougal is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What are Polynomials, Binomials, and Quadratics?
What do polynomials, binomials, and quadratics have in common? What are their differences? How can you identify each of them? Watch this video lesson to find the answers.
2. How to Add, Subtract and Multiply Polynomials
Adding, subtracting and multiplying polynomials are, basically, the same as adding, subtracting and multiplying numbers. They only difference is that we have a pesky variable to worry about, but this video will show you that's no problem, so no worries! This method has worked for many of my students, and I think it will work for you, too!
3. How to Evaluate a Polynomial in Function Notation
This lesson will review how to evaluate polynomials in function notation. Along with an analogy to explain the process, examples will be given and worked during the lesson.
4. What is the Binomial Theorem?
While the F.O.I.L. method can be used to multiply any number of binomials together, doing more than three can quickly become a huge headache. Luckily, we've got the Binomial Theorem and Pascal's Triangle for that! Learn all about it in this lesson.
5. How to Divide Polynomials with Long Division
Arithmetic long division and polynomial long division are very similar. Yes, it's a long process, but once you have the rhythm you will get every problem correct!
6. How to Use Synthetic Division to Divide Polynomials
Synthetic division is a 'short-cut' way of dividing a polynomial by a monomial. You still need to know long division, sorry, but this method is way fun when you're dividing by a monomial!
7. Dividing Polynomials with Long and Synthetic Division: Practice Problems
Let's look at some more polynomial division problems. We will use long division and synthetic division, but this time we will have a couple of more involved problems. So, get out some paper and a pencil and let's begin!
8. Factoring By Grouping: Steps, Verification & Examples
How do you factor an expression if all the terms don't share a common factor? Grouping! In this lesson, we'll learn how to use grouping to help factor expressions.
9. Remainder Theorem & Factor Theorem: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about the remainder theorem and the factor theorem. You will also learn how to use these theorems to find remainders and factors of polynomials.
10. How to Solve Perfectly Cubed Equations
Watch this video lesson so you can identify perfectly cubed equations. Learn about the formula that helps you factor them and then to solve them. See how easy it is to use these formulas.
11. Finding Rational Zeros Using the Rational Zeros Theorem & Synthetic Division
After completing this lesson, you will know what the rational zeros theorem says. You will also know how to apply this theorem to find zeros of polynomial functions.
12. The Irrational Root Theorem: Definition & Application
This lesson describes the irrational root theorem and how it may be used to find additional roots for a polynomial. The irrational root theorem works only if the coefficients of the polynomial are rational.
13. Fundamental Theorem of Algebra: Explanation and Example
In this lesson, you will learn what the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra says. You will also learn how to apply this theorem in determining solutions of polynomial functions.
14. Using Rational & Complex Zeros to Write Polynomial Equations
In this lesson, you will learn how to write a polynomial function from its given zeros. You will learn how to follow a process that converts zeros into factors and then factors into polynomial functions.
15. How to Graph Cubics, Quartics, Quintics and Beyond
Finding the graph of a polynomial isn't too hard. If you can graph, you already know the major steps! With a couple rules and helpful memorizing tools, you will be graphing polynomials in no time!
16. Basic Transformations of Polynomial Graphs
The basic transformations for a graph are movement up and down, left and right, pinched or stretched graphs, and flipped graphs. This lesson will review how to accomplish each of these transformations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Holt McDougal Algebra 2: Online Textbook Help course
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 1: Foundations for Functions
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 2: Linear Functions
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 3: Linear Systems
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 4: Matrices
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 5: Quadratic Functions
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 7: Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 8: Rational and Radical Functions
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 9: Properties and Attributes of Functions
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 10: Conic Sections
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 11: Probability and Statistics
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 12: Sequences and Series
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 13: Trigonometric Functions
- Holt McDougal Algebra 2 Chapter 14: Trigonometric Graphs and Identities