About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Holt McDougal Functions chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the functions topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn to:
- Identify the different parts of a graph
- Recognize function notation
- Find the domain and range in a function
- Interpret a real-life graph or table
- Plot points to graph a function
- Define correlation and scatterplot
- Understand and classify an arithmetic sequence
Holt McDougal is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What Are the Different Parts of a Graph?
Being able to read a graph isn't just vital for an algebra class. Graphs and charts are used everywhere! We'll take a crash course on the basic x/y plane used in algebra and the fundamental vocab you need.
2. Functions: Identification, Notation & Practice Problems
A function is simply a rule that takes one number and turns it into another. But some special conditions must apply for it to be a true mathematical function. Learn about those conditions and how we write functions here!
3. What Is Domain and Range in a Function?
The domain and range are the possible outputs and inputs of a function. In this lesson, learn about what might restrict the domain and how to figure out the domain and range from a graph.
4. Applying Function Operations Practice Problems
In this lesson, learn how to apply all the different properties of functions to solve complex problems. From function operations and composition to domain and range, get your practice here!
5. Using Tables and Graphs in the Real World
We use tables and graphs in algebra as ways to visually show an equation or function. But do we really use these in the real world? Is it that important to learn about tables and graphs? Find out in this video lesson.
6. Graph Functions by Plotting Points
Let's say you have a function. What does it look like? How do you graph it? In this lesson, we'll learn how to graph functions by determining and plotting points.
7. Graphing Basic Functions
Graphs are just like maps - when you know the language! Review how locations have x and y coordinates similar to latitude and longitude, and how to plot points in the Cartesian plane.
8. Scatterplot and Correlation: Definition, Example & Analysis
A scatterplot is used to graphically represent the relationship between two variables. Explore the relationship between scatterplots and correlations, the different types of correlations, how to interpret scatterplots, and more.
9. Arithmetic Sequences: Definition & Finding the Common Difference
Watch this video lesson to learn the pattern that defines an arithmetic sequence. Learn how to identify arithmetic sequences as well as find the pattern easily. You will also learn the formula you can use to write any number in your sequence.
10. Understanding Arithmetic Series in Algebra
In this video lesson, we will learn about arithmetic series and how they work. Learn also how to find the pattern of an arithmetic sequence along with finding the sum.
11. How to Find and Classify an Arithmetic Sequence
Arithmetic sequences are everywhere, and with a few tricks you learn here, you could end up looking like a psychic the next time you go to a movie or a football game!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Holt McDougal Algebra I: Online Textbook Help course
- Chapter 1: Equations
- Chapter 2: Inequalities
- Chapter 4: Linear Functions
- Chapter 5: Systems of Equations and Inequalities
- Chapter 6: Exponents and Polynomials
- Chapter 7: Factoring Polynomials
- Chapter 8: Quadratic Functions and Equations
- Chapter 9: Exponential Functions
- Chapter 10: Data Analysis and Probability