About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Holt McDougal Respiratory & Circulatory Systems chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the circulatory and respiratory systems topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn about:
- Respiratory system gas exchange
- The parts and functions of the circulatory system
- The respiratory surface
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- The anatomy of the heart
- Blood vessels
- Blood plasma
- The functions of red blood cells
- The functions and components of the lymphatic system
Holt McDougal is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Gas Exchange in the Human Respiratory System
Did you know that the average human lung has a respiratory surface area that is roughly the same size as half of a tennis court? Believe it or not, that's how much surface area an active, healthy human needs to ensure that the body gets plenty of oxygen.
2. The Human Circulatory System: Parts and Functions
In this lesson, you will take a ride on the transportation system of the body called the circulatory system and its two parts: the pulmonary circuit and the systemic circuit. Take a look inside and see how every inch of your body receives the oxygen and nutrients it needs.
3. The Respiratory Surface and Gas Exchange Efficiency
The respiratory membrane includes millions of alveoli with a surface area as large as a tennis court. This large respiratory surface area, combined with other factors, makes for efficient gas exchange to meet our metabolic needs.
4. The Causes of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
This lesson explores the causes of obstructive lung disease, including COPD, emphysema, and chronic bronchitis. We'll also discuss asthma, cystic fibrosis, and bronchiectasis.
5. Anatomy of the Heart: Blood Flow and Parts
In this lesson, you will take a look inside the heart and identify the chambers and one-way valves that make up this vital organ. You will also follow along as we trace the flow of blood through the heart chambers.
6. Blood Vessels: Arteries, Capillaries & More
In this lesson, you will take a trip around the circulatory system and encounter the various blood vessels, including arteries, veins, and capillaries. Come along as we follow the path to every cell of your body.
7. What Is Blood Plasma? - Function & Components
Blood plasma is the liquid component of blood that suspends blood cells and many other substances. Find out more about what it's made up of and how it functions with this lesson.
8. Functions of Red Blood Cells, White Blood Cells & Platelets
Blood is a connective tissue vital to our body's survival. In this lesson, we will explore the three functions of blood by delving into red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets - the three individual components that make up blood as a whole.
9. The Lymphatic System: Definition and Fundamental Components
This lesson will cover something known as the lymphatic system. You'll learn about bone marrow, lymph, the thymus, lymph nodes, spleen, and much more as we explore this critical component of your immune system.
10. Functions of the Lymphatic System
In this lesson, you will learn about the lymphatic system and the vital role it plays in keeping the cardiovascular system working. You'll discover how the lymphatic system (with its lymphatic vessels and capillaries) quietly works in the background to return leaked fluids back to the blood.
11. Closed Circulatory System: Definition & Advantage
This lesson will focus on the basic components of a closed circulatory system and the advantages of a closed circulatory system. It will also provide examples of organisms that have closed circulatory systems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Holt McDougal Biology: Online Textbook Help course
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 1: Biology in the 21st Century
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 2: Chemistry of Life
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 3: Cell Structure & Function
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 4: Cells & Energy
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 5: Cell Growth & Division
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 6: Meiosis & Mendel
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 7: Extending Mendelian Genetics
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 8: From DNA to Proteins
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 9: Frontiers of Biotechnology
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 10: Principles of Evolution
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 11: The Evolution of Populations
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 12: The History of Life
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 13: Principles of Ecology
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 14: Interactions in Ecosystems
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 15: The Biosphere
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 16: Human Impact on Ecosystems
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 17: The Tree of Life
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 18: Viruses & Prokaryotes
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 19: Protists & Fungi
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 20: Plant Diversity
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 21: Plant Structure & Function
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 22: Plant Growth, Reproduction & Response
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 23: Invertebrate Diversity
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 24: A Closer Look at Arthropods
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 25: Vertebrate Diversity
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 26: A Closer Look at Amniotes
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 27: Animal Behavior
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 28: Human Systems & Homeostasis
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 29: Nervous & Endocrine Systems
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 31: Immune System & Disease
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 32: Digestive & Excretory Systems
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 33: Protection, Support & Movement
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 34: Reproduction & Development