About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Holt McDougal Reproduction & Development chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the reproduction and development topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Anatomies of the male and female reproductive systems
- Kinds of sexually transmitted diseases and how they're treated
- Stages of the menstrual cycle
- The process of fertilization and early development
- Fetal development during each of the three trimesters
- What the different stages of labor are
- The process of development from infancy to late adulthood
Holt McDougal is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Female Reproductive System: Internal Anatomy
Ever wonder where a female produces her eggs or how they get from the ovary to the uterus? Find out in this lesson about the internal reproductive anatomy of females.
2. External Anatomy of the Female Reproductive System
We all know that men and women are different. But just how different are they? Learn a little more about the differences between men and women in this lesson on female external reproductive anatomy.
3. Male Reproductive System: Functions, Organs & Anatomy
Ever wonder what the inside of a male looks like? Find out in this lesson that explores the inner workings of the male reproductive system and the pathway that sperm takes.
4. Male Reproductive System: External Anatomy
Learn about the structure and function of the external reproductive structures of the male. This includes study of the scrotal sac, the parts of the penis and the erectile tissues.
5. The Uterine Cycle: Menses
Each month the female's uterus prepares for the potential of pregnancy. However, pregnancy doesn't occur the majority of the time. In those months, the female's uterus has to 'reset' itself for the next month. It does that during the first phase of the uterine cycle, menses.
6. Fertilization and Zygote Formation: Definition and Processes
Follow the male's sperm and the female's egg on their way to meet each other in this lesson that takes you through the process of fertilization in humans. Learn about the obstacles the sperm must get through before it can fertilize the egg.
7. Sexually Transmitted Infections: Types, Transmission, Symptoms & Treatments
This lesson will teach you about three major bacterial and three important viral sexually transmitted diseases, what problems they cause, and how they are treated.
8. Fetal Development By Trimester: Timeline of Body Systems
This lesson will lay out for you when important body systems start to develop or begin to function as an unborn child develops trimester by trimester.
9. The Prenatal Environment and Hazards to Healthy Prenatal Development
In this lesson, learn about the prenatal environment and what can be harmful to prenatal development. Learn about the hazards of drugs, alcohol, tobacco, disease and environmental pollutants during pregnancy.
10. The Three Stages of Labor: Dilation, Expulsion & Placental
You may think of the process of labor and childbirth as one long event, but it is actually divided into different stages. Learn about each of the three stages of labor in this lesson.
11. Human Development Stages From Infancy to Late Adulthood
Human development is a process that continues throughout our lives. This lesson will take a look at the progression of human development from infancy to late adulthood with all the stages in between.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Holt McDougal Biology: Online Textbook Help course
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 1: Biology in the 21st Century
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 2: Chemistry of Life
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 3: Cell Structure & Function
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 4: Cells & Energy
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 5: Cell Growth & Division
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 6: Meiosis & Mendel
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 7: Extending Mendelian Genetics
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 8: From DNA to Proteins
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 9: Frontiers of Biotechnology
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 10: Principles of Evolution
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 11: The Evolution of Populations
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 12: The History of Life
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 13: Principles of Ecology
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 14: Interactions in Ecosystems
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 15: The Biosphere
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 16: Human Impact on Ecosystems
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 17: The Tree of Life
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 18: Viruses & Prokaryotes
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 19: Protists & Fungi
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 20: Plant Diversity
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 21: Plant Structure & Function
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 22: Plant Growth, Reproduction & Response
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 23: Invertebrate Diversity
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 24: A Closer Look at Arthropods
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 25: Vertebrate Diversity
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 26: A Closer Look at Amniotes
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 27: Animal Behavior
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 28: Human Systems & Homeostasis
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 29: Nervous & Endocrine Systems
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 30: Respiratory & Circulatory Systems
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 31: Immune System & Disease
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 32: Digestive & Excretory Systems
- Holt McDougal Biology Chapter 33: Protection, Support & Movement