About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Holt McDougal A Geographer's World chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the geography topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Types of geography
- Geography as a social science
- Local, regional and global geography
- Geography tools
- Five themes of geography
- Six essential geography elements
- Eighteen national geography standards
- Branches of geology
- Cultural and human geography
- Geography fields
Holt McDougal is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What is Geography? - Definition, Facts & Types
This lesson will define and explore the study of geography. In doing this, it will also explain the two main branches of geography, which are physical and cultural geography.
2. Geography as a Social Science: Definition & Explanation
Is geography a social science or physical science? This lesson will examine the social aspects of geography. But don't be too social while you're reading this lesson - once you're done, it's time to take a short quiz.
3. Global, Local & Regional Geography
Learn why geography looks at the world on local, regional, and global scales. Discover how connected the world is, and then measure the scale of your new knowledge with a quiz.
4. Geography Tools: Maps, GPS & GIS
How can we study the earth and the features in it? Watch this lesson to find out more about common tools used in geography, including maps, global positioning systems, and geographic information systems, and their differences.
5. What Are The Five Themes of Geography?
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what geography is and describe the five key themes that make up geography. A short quiz will follow.
6. The Six Essential Elements of Geography
Geography is a lot more than maps. Learn what geography actually is, and discover the six essential elements of geography. Test your knowledge of the elements by taking a quiz when you are through.
7. National Geography Standards 1-6: The World in Spatial Terms & Places and Regions
In this lesson, we will define and discuss the first six National Geography Standards. They deal with the world in spatial terms as well as places and regions.
8. National Geography Standards 7-13: Physical and Human Systems
In this lesson, we will define and discuss standards 7-13 of the National Geography Standards. These standards deal with various physical systems and human systems.
9. National Geography Standards 14-18: Environment and Society & The Uses of Geography
In this lesson, we will define and discuss standards 14-18 of the National Geography Standards. These standards deal with the uses of geography as well as the crossroads between the environment and society.
10. The Main Branches of Geology
Although many people think the field of geology focuses solely on rocks, there is much more behind this scientific field. Geology has many different branches that each focus on interesting and unique features of our planet and beyond.
11. Human & Cultural Geography: Definition, Characteristics & Studies
Humans don't exist in a vacuum. We live with other humans, and we live in a specific environment. In this lesson, we'll examine human & cultural geography, including what it is, and what types of topics are studied in the field.
12. Fields of Geography: Cartography, Hydrology & Meteorology
In this lesson, we will discuss the subject of geography and explore three of the largest fields in geography: cartography, hydrology, and meteorology. Read on to learn about the major topics, professionals, and tools in each field.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Holt McDougal Introduction to Geography: Online Textbook Help course
- Holt McDougal Introduction to Geography Chapter 2: Planet Earth
- Holt McDougal Introduction to Geography Chapter 3: Climate, Environment & Resources
- Holt McDougal Introduction to Geography Chapter 4: The Word's People - Culture & Population
- Holt McDougal Introduction to Geography Chapter 4: The Word's People - Government, Economy & Global Connections