About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in Holt McDougal Literature's The Odyssey chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover The Odyssey topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Foundations of Greek religion and myth
- Major heroes and stories in epic poetry
- Analysis of Homer's The Odyssey
Holt McDougal Literature is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Greek Myth and Religion
This lecture examines the troubles of generalizing Greek religion, before doing just that. It lists the major Olympian gods and their roles. It then explores the function of heroes in Greek religion. Next, the relationship between gods and men is laid out. Finally, it explores aspects of Greek myth that reemerge in Christianity.
2. Epic Poetry: Definition, Heroes & Stories
Learn about epic poetry in the ancient world. Explore two epic poems, ''Gilgamesh'' and ''The Iliad'' and discover the information these poems contain about the cultures that created them.
3. The Odyssey: Greek Epic
This lecture provides a rough outline of the exploits of Odysseus in Homer's epic poem ''The Odyssey''. You'll learn plot details about this epic poem, in addition to hearing about how this important tale relates to Greek culture and literary works throughout history.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Holt McDougal Literature Grade 9 Common Core Edition: Online Textbook Help course
- Holt McDougal Literature Introductory Unit
- Holt McDougal Literature Chapter 1: Narrative Structure
- Holt McDougal Literature Chapter 2 Characterization & Point of View
- Holt McDougal Literature Chapter 3: Setting, Mood, & Imagery
- Holt McDougal Literature Chapter 4: Theme and Symbol
- Holt McDougal Literature Chapter 5: Author's Purpose
- Holt McDougal Literature Chapter 6: Argument & Persuasion
- Holt McDougal Literature Chapter 7: The Language of Poetry
- Holt McDougal Literature Chapter 8: Author's Style & Voice
- Holt McDougal Literature Chapter 9: History, Culture, & the Author
- Holt McDougal Literature Chapter 10: The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet
- Holt McDougal Literature Chapter 12: The Power of Research