About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in Holt McDougal Literature's Author's Purpose chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the author's purpose topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Main forms of author's purpose
- Characteristics of informational text
- Impact of using visuals in communication
- Textual graphics and visual graphics
- Examples and types of media bias
Holt McDougal is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. The Role of Visuals in Communication
Visuals used in business communication can help with message development. This lesson will explain how the use of visuals can increase understanding, development, communication, and the retainment of a message.
2. Using Visuals to Present Data: Textual Graphics vs. Visual Graphics
Textual and visual graphics can aid in visually presenting data to a business audience. You must first identify the type of data you will be presenting and then decide whether it is details, patterns or relationships being communicated.
3. Media Bias & Criticism: Definition, Types & Examples
Media bias occurs when a media outlet reports a news story in a partial or prejudiced manner. There are many different types of media bias. This lesson takes a look at the most common types of media bias.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Holt McDougal Literature Grade 9 Common Core Edition: Online Textbook Help course
- Holt McDougal Literature Introductory Unit
- Holt McDougal Literature Chapter 1: Narrative Structure
- Holt McDougal Literature Chapter 2 Characterization & Point of View
- Holt McDougal Literature Chapter 3: Setting, Mood, & Imagery
- Holt McDougal Literature Chapter 4: Theme and Symbol
- Holt McDougal Literature Chapter 6: Argument & Persuasion
- Holt McDougal Literature Chapter 7: The Language of Poetry
- Holt McDougal Literature Chapter 8: Author's Style & Voice
- Holt McDougal Literature Chapter 9: History, Culture, & the Author
- Holt McDougal Literature Chapter 10: The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet
- Holt McDougal Literature Chapter 11: The Odyssey
- Holt McDougal Literature Chapter 12: The Power of Research