About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in Holt Physical Science Chemical Reactions chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the chemical reactions topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn about:
- Chemical reactions and steps for balancing a chemical equation
- Common chemical reactions in relation to energy change
- Endothermic and exothermic reactions
- Effects of temperature on the rate of a chemical reaction
- Modifying factors to the rate of a chemical reaction
- Activation energy and catalysts
Holt is a registered trademark of Holt, Rinehart and Winston, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What Is a Chemical Change? - Properties, Types & Examples
Chemical changes are fundamental changes that produce new combinations of matter. A distinction is made between chemical and physical changes. The signs of chemical changes are discussed, and several types of chemical changes are explored in this lesson.
2. Chemical Reactions and Balancing Chemical Equations
In this lesson, you'll learn how to balance a chemical reaction equation using the conservation of matter law. You'll also learn how to write both word and formula equations, what the subscripts after a letter mean and what the numbers in front of compounds mean.
3. Common Chemical Reactions and Energy Change
This lesson covers the five common types of chemical reactions: combination, decomposition, single-replacement, double-replacement, and combustion. You will learn how to predict what kind of chemical reaction will occur. You'll also explore how matter is conserved, but energy can change.
4. Endothermic and Exothermic Reactions
Explore a chemical reaction at the molecular level. Learn about exothermic and endothermic reactions, what they look like and what happens when they occur. Understand enthalpy and how you can use it to predict whether a reaction will be exothermic or endothermic.
5. Rate of a Chemical Reaction: Effect of Temperature
Learn how temperature affects reaction rates. Discover the rate law as well as how the Arrhenius equation relates to the rate law and predicts the effect of temperature on the rate of reaction.
6. Rate of a Chemical Reaction: Modifying Factors
Why are some reactions much faster than others? Is it possible to change how fast a reaction occurs? In this lesson, you will learn what the rate of a chemical reaction is. You will also discover how factors such as temperature, concentration, surface area, and catalysts impact reaction rates.
7. Activation Energy and Catalysts
Learn how to define activation energy and how it relates to a reaction's energy. Learn what an activated complex is and where it fits into an activation energy diagram. Discover how a catalyst works to change the activation energy of a reaction and what this means to metabolism in the body.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Holt Physical Science: Online Textbook Help course
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 1: The World of Physical Science
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 2: The Properties of Matter
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 3: States of Matter
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 4: Elements, Compounds, and Mixtures
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 5: Matter in Motion
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 6: Forces and Motion
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 7: Forces in Fluids
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 8: Work and Machines
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 9: Energy and Energy Resources
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 10: Heat and Heat Technology
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 11: Introduction to Atoms
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 12: The Periodic Table
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 13: Chemical Bonding
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 15: Chemical Compounds
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 16: Atomic Energy
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 17: Introduction to Electricity
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 18: Electromagnetism
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 19: Electronic Technology
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 20: The Energy of Waves
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 21: The Nature of Sound
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 22: The Nature of Light
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 23: Light and Our World