About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Holt Science Spectrum - Physical Science Magnetism chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the magnetism topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Magnetic force
- Poles and dipoles
- Magnetic fields
- Electric motors and generators
- Electromagnetic induction
Holt is a registered trademark of Holt, Rinehart and Winston, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Magnetic Force: Definition, Poles & Dipoles
You're probably familiar with magnets, but have you ever stopped to consider how they work? In this lesson, we'll look at the root of magnetism and some of the fundamental properties of magnets.
2. What is a Magnetic Field?
Magnetic fields fill the space around all magnets, but they're impossible to detect with our own senses. We'll use a common tool to map out a magnetic field and then discuss ferromagnetic materials to see how a magnetic field can be used to create new magnets.
3. How Magnetic Fields Are Created
Have you ever wondered how magnetic fields are created? In this lesson, we'll discuss the very simple answer to this question and look at how electric current can be used to make electromagnets, which have many everyday applications.
4. What is Solenoid? - Definition, Uses & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn what a solenoid is, how it relates to electromagnets, and how it is used in a few real-life situations. A short quiz will follow.
5. Electric Motors & Generators: Converting Between Electrical and Mechanical Energy
Both generators and electric motors are common devices in everyday life, but how do they work and what is the difference between them? In this lesson, we'll explore both of them, which may produce different results but are actually more similar than they may seem.
6. Electromagnetic Induction: Definition & Variables that Affect Induction
We use electromagnetic induction every day, but do you have any idea what it is? In this lesson, we'll discuss this everyday phenomenon, the factors that affect its strength and its most common applications.
7. Electromagnetic Induction: Conductor to Conductor & Transformers
Every day, we make use of a special case of electromagnetic induction known as mutual induction. In this lesson, we'll talk about this special phenomenon and how it is used in many common devices.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Holt Science Spectrum - Physical Science: Online Textbook Help course
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 1: Introduction to Science
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 2: Matter
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 3: States of Matter & Energy
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 4: Atoms & the Periodic Table
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 5: The Structure of Matter
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 6: Chemical Reactions
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 7: Solutions
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 8: Acids, Bases & Salts
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 9: Nuclear Changes
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 10: Motion
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 11: Forces
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 12: Work & Energy
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 13: Heat & Temperature
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 14: Waves
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 15: Sound & Light
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 16: Electricity
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 18: Communication Technology
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 19: The Solar System
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 20: The Universe
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 21: Planet Earth
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 22: The Atmosphere
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 23: Using Natural Resources