About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in Holt Physical Science Electromagnetism chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the electromagnetism topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Poles and dipoles of magnetic force
- Magnetic fields
- Effects of magnetic forces on moving charges
- Electromagnetic induction
Holt is a registered trademark of Holt, Rinehart and Winston, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Magnetic Force: Definition, Poles & Dipoles
You're probably familiar with magnets, but have you ever stopped to consider how they work? In this lesson, we'll look at the root of magnetism and some of the fundamental properties of magnets.
2. What is a Magnetic Field?
Magnetic fields fill the space around all magnets, but they're impossible to detect with our own senses. We'll use a common tool to map out a magnetic field and then discuss ferromagnetic materials to see how a magnetic field can be used to create new magnets.
3. How Magnetic Fields Are Created
Have you ever wondered how magnetic fields are created? In this lesson, we'll discuss the very simple answer to this question and look at how electric current can be used to make electromagnets, which have many everyday applications.
4. How Magnetic Forces Affect Moving Charges
A magnetic field exerts a force on a moving charged particle in ways that you might not expect. In this lesson, we're going to look at the direction of this force and the factors that affect its strength.
5. Electromagnetic Induction: Definition & Variables that Affect Induction
We use electromagnetic induction every day, but do you have any idea what it is? In this lesson, we'll discuss this everyday phenomenon, the factors that affect its strength and its most common applications.
6. Electromagnetic Induction: Conductor to Conductor & Transformers
Every day we make use of a special case of electromagnetic induction known as mutual induction. In this lesson, we'll talk about this special phenomenon and how it is used in many common devices.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Holt Physical Science: Online Textbook Help course
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 1: The World of Physical Science
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 2: The Properties of Matter
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 3: States of Matter
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 4: Elements, Compounds, and Mixtures
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 5: Matter in Motion
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 6: Forces and Motion
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 7: Forces in Fluids
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 8: Work and Machines
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 9: Energy and Energy Resources
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 10: Heat and Heat Technology
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 11: Introduction to Atoms
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 12: The Periodic Table
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 13: Chemical Bonding
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 14: Chemical Reactions
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 15: Chemical Compounds
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 16: Atomic Energy
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 17: Introduction to Electricity
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 19: Electronic Technology
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 20: The Energy of Waves
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 21: The Nature of Sound
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 22: The Nature of Light
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 23: Light and Our World