About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in Holt Physical Science Electronic Technology chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the electronic technology topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn about:
- The history of computers
- Computer memory and processing devices
- External and internal storage devices
- Computer operating systems
- Application software
- The World Wide Web and how it works
Holt is a registered trademark of Holt, Rinehart and Winston, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Circuits, Circuit Boards & Semiconductors: Uses & Parts
Current flows through electronic circuits. Learn about the parts of a circuit and how circuits are built around circuit boards. Also, discover how semiconductors showed us the path to the small, but powerful integrated circuits of modern electronics.
2. History of Computers: Timeline & Evolution
Modern computing has a rich history. Learn about the earliest computing devices developed by humans, the first electronic computers and the development of modern computer components, such as microprocessors and the graphical user interface, in this video lesson.
3. Computer Memory and Processing Devices: Functions & Characteristics
Computer memory and processing devices have various functions and characteristics. Explore the components of computers, including the CPU and its core, and discover the different types of computer memory and processing devices.
4. External and Internal Storage Devices: Optical, Magnetic & Semiconductor Storage
The three types of external and internal computer storage are optical, magnetic, and semiconductor storage. Explore the different types of storage devices and their capacities and find out the function of cloud storage.
5. Computer Operating Systems: Managing Hardware and Software Resources
Operating system software is used in computers to process start-up instructions, communicate between application software and the devices used, maintain system performance, and change user settings. Learn about the differences between application software and operating system software, how to use the Recycle Bin, and how to change the desktop background wallpaper.
6. Application Software for Personal, Enterprise & Workgroup Objectives
Application software enables computers to perform tasks beyond the functionality of the operating system installed when the machine was built, such as adding word processing software, for example. Learn how most applications come in OS-specific form, and explore software applications for personal use, for enterprises, and for workgroup objectives.
7. World Wide Web: How the Web Works
The World Wide Web relies on various technologies to make it work. Explore who developed the Web, how it works, which technologies make up the Web, and learn some web-specific terms and their functions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Holt Physical Science: Online Textbook Help course
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 1: The World of Physical Science
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 2: The Properties of Matter
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 3: States of Matter
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 4: Elements, Compounds, and Mixtures
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 5: Matter in Motion
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 6: Forces and Motion
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 7: Forces in Fluids
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 8: Work and Machines
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 9: Energy and Energy Resources
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 10: Heat and Heat Technology
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 11: Introduction to Atoms
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 12: The Periodic Table
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 13: Chemical Bonding
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 14: Chemical Reactions
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 15: Chemical Compounds
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 16: Atomic Energy
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 17: Introduction to Electricity
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 18: Electromagnetism
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 20: The Energy of Waves
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 21: The Nature of Sound
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 22: The Nature of Light
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 23: Light and Our World