About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the Holt Physical Science Energy of Waves chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the waves-related topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Vibrations and waves
- Transverse and longitudinal waves
- Wave parameters
- Reflection, diffraction, refraction and dispersion
- Constructive and destructive interference
- Resonance and transmission of waves
Holt is a registered trademark of Holt, Rinehart and Winston, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Vibrations and Waves: Energy and Motion
When an object is manifesting a repetitive motion over the same path in a rhythmic way, it is vibrating, which means waves are being formed. Learn about vibrations and waves, amplitude and energy.
2. Transverse & Longitudinal Waves: Definition & Examples
In transverse waves, particles of a medium move perpendicular to the wave's direction of travel and in longitudinal waves, the particles move parallel. Explore the definition and examples of these waves, how they travel through solids, liquids, and gasses, and learn about seismic waves.
3. Wave Parameters: Wavelength, Amplitude, Period, Frequency & Speed
Wave parameters refer to the different ways waves are measured. Examine how waves are characterized by wavelength, amplitude, period, frequency, and/or speed.
4. Diffraction: Relation to Sound & Light and Effects of Wavelength
Diffraction describes a unique behavior of waves where they bend as they travel through certain mediums. Explore the diffraction of sound and light, and the effects of wavelength on diffraction.
5. Constructive and Destructive Interference
When two waves meet while traveling in the same medium, they disrupt each other in a process called interference, which produces an entirely new wave. Discover the two types of interference, constructive and destructive, and learn how a single wave can interfere with itself.
6. Resonance: Definition & Transmission of Waves
Resonance is when the amplitude of an object's oscillations is increased by the matching vibrations of another object. Explore the definition, transmission of waves, resonate frequency, and resonance in music.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Holt Physical Science: Online Textbook Help course
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 1: The World of Physical Science
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 2: The Properties of Matter
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 3: States of Matter
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 4: Elements, Compounds, and Mixtures
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 5: Matter in Motion
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 6: Forces and Motion
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 7: Forces in Fluids
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 8: Work and Machines
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 9: Energy and Energy Resources
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 10: Heat and Heat Technology
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 11: Introduction to Atoms
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 12: The Periodic Table
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 13: Chemical Bonding
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 14: Chemical Reactions
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 15: Chemical Compounds
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 16: Atomic Energy
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 17: Introduction to Electricity
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 18: Electromagnetism
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 19: Electronic Technology
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 21: The Nature of Sound
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 22: The Nature of Light
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 23: Light and Our World