About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the Holt Physical Science Energy of Waves chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the waves-related topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Vibrations and waves
- Transverse and longitudinal waves
- Wave parameters
- Reflection, diffraction, refraction and dispersion
- Constructive and destructive interference
- Resonance and transmission of waves
Holt is a registered trademark of Holt, Rinehart and Winston, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Vibrations and Waves: Energy and Motion
What is a wave? What causes waves, and how do they travel from one place to another? This lesson will guide you through the basics of waves. We'll discuss their origins from vibrations and investigate how they carry energy through a medium.
2. Transverse & Longitudinal Waves: Definition & Examples
What comes to mind when you think of a wave? Chances are your mental image takes the form of a transverse wave. But, longitudinal waves are just as important, and understanding the difference is vital to learning about waves. In this lesson, explore both types of waves and the unique characteristics of each.
3. Wave Parameters: Wavelength, Amplitude, Period, Frequency & Speed
How do we measure and describe waves? How do waves differ based upon their shapes? This lesson will guide you through the five wave parameters - period, frequency, amplitude, wavelength, and speed - that we use to characterize waves.
4. Diffraction: Relation to Sound & Light and Effects of Wavelength
This lesson explores diffraction as one of the many behaviors of waves. Learn how diffraction occurs in sound and light waves and how it is affected by the wavelength of a wave. Find out how animals use diffraction to communicate and how scientists use it to study molecules.
5. Constructive and Destructive Interference
What happens when one wave meets another? Do the waves converge to make one giant wave? Or, do they destroy each other? In this lesson, we'll explore the workings of wave interference.
6. Resonance: Definition & Transmission of Waves
This lesson describes how sound and light waves are affected by the principle of resonance. Learn how resonance occurs through the vibrations and resonant frequencies of objects. You'll investigate everyday examples of resonance and learn how to break a wine glass with your voice!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Holt Physical Science: Online Textbook Help course
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 1: The World of Physical Science
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 2: The Properties of Matter
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 3: States of Matter
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 4: Elements, Compounds, and Mixtures
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 5: Matter in Motion
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 6: Forces and Motion
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 7: Forces in Fluids
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 8: Work and Machines
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 9: Energy and Energy Resources
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 10: Heat and Heat Technology
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 11: Introduction to Atoms
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 12: The Periodic Table
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 13: Chemical Bonding
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 14: Chemical Reactions
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 15: Chemical Compounds
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 16: Atomic Energy
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 17: Introduction to Electricity
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 18: Electromagnetism
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 19: Electronic Technology
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 21: The Nature of Sound
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 22: The Nature of Light
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 23: Light and Our World