About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the Holt Physical Science Nature of Sound chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the sound-related topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Factors affecting the speed of sound
- The mechanics of hearing
- Pitch and volume in sound waves
- The Doppler Effect
- Sound quality
- Interactions of sound waves
Holt is a registered trademark of Holt, Rinehart and Winston, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What is Sound? - Definition and Factors Affecting the Speed of Sound
Explore the minute workings of sound waves and how they travel. We'll discuss the main factors that affect the speed of sound waves, and we'll try some mathematical problems involving the wave equation.
2. Mechanics of Hearing & How the Brain Processes Sound
How do our ears transform sound into signals that our brains can process? In this lesson, you'll cover properties of sound waves and how they interact with key parts of the ear.
3. Pitch and Volume in Sound Waves
What do pitch and volume mean when talking about sound waves? Further your understanding of sound waves in this lesson as we explore the more familiar aspects of sound. We'll learn about pitch and volume and how they relate to sound wave parameters.
4. The Doppler Effect: Definition, Examples & Applications
What is the Doppler effect? How does it affect our perceptions of sound and light? In this lesson, learn how traveling wave sources can change the way we observe sound and light waves. Explore the applications of the Doppler effect on shock waves, sonic booms, and the movements of distant galaxies.
5. How Sound Waves Interact: Definitions & Examples
Sound waves move through the air and hit your ear. If sound waves collide, they change the wave and ultimately how you hear the sound. How the wave changes depends on whether the waves meet constructively or destructively.
6. Sound Quality: Definition, Differentiation & Noise
How does your brain tell the difference between a note played by a guitar and the same note played by a piano? The answer has to do with sound quality, or timbre. Learn about the characteristics that your brain interprets to distinguish sounds.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Holt Physical Science: Online Textbook Help course
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 1: The World of Physical Science
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 2: The Properties of Matter
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 3: States of Matter
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 4: Elements, Compounds, and Mixtures
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 5: Matter in Motion
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 6: Forces and Motion
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 7: Forces in Fluids
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 8: Work and Machines
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 9: Energy and Energy Resources
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 10: Heat and Heat Technology
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 11: Introduction to Atoms
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 12: The Periodic Table
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 13: Chemical Bonding
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 14: Chemical Reactions
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 15: Chemical Compounds
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 16: Atomic Energy
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 17: Introduction to Electricity
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 18: Electromagnetism
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 19: Electronic Technology
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 20: The Energy of Waves
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 22: The Nature of Light
- Holt Physical Science Chapter 23: Light and Our World