About This Chapter
If you're searching for a quality overview of home design features, let us help. This chapter is filled with informative lessons you can study at your leisure to get reacquainted with furniture in interior design, home technology trends, home construction features and more. When finished, you will be able to:
- Discuss the correlation between home construction features and the family life cycle
- Outline best practices for conserving energy at home
- List and describe home features for repair, maintenance and family needs
- Define and describe residential interior design
- Detail the process of interior design and space planning
- Explain why furniture in interior design is important
- Describe the role and impact of home technology trends on home design
Take control of your studying process by tailoring your review of this chapter. Access one, several or all lessons based on your current understanding of home design features, and assess your knowledge by taking short quizzes. These resources are available to view via any computer or mobile device. Study at times and in Internet-enabled locations that align with your schedule. If you need to clarify information presented in this chapter, send questions to our experts.
1. How Home Construction Features Impact the Family Life Cycle
In this lesson, discover the impact of some home construction features on the family life cycle. Learn about some important elements in a house and how they can facilitate the activities of the occupants during different stages of life.
2. Conserving Energy at Home: How to Be More Energy Efficient
Are you wondering how to make your home more energy efficient? Follow these measures to conserve energy, prevent energy loss, and make your home more comfortable, all while saving money.
3. Home Construction Features: Maintenance, Repair & Aesthetics
In this lesson, explore some of the construction features that are being incorporated into new homes and learn about the different finishes and construction features that don't require much maintenance and also provide a nice look.
4. What is Residential Interior Design?
Interior design is a very important part of architecture. However, just as there are multiple kinds of buildings, there are multiple kinds of design. In this lesson, we'll talk about residential interior design and see how it is used to define interior spaces.
5. Interior Design & Space Planning
Space planning is fundamental to interior design. In this lesson, you'll learn why space planning is important, what it means and involves, and how the process works within the phases of design.
6. Importance of Furniture in Interior Design
Furniture is an industrial design product. Furniture matters the most when designing a space. This lesson explains why, how, and when furniture is important in interior design.
7. Home Technology Trends: Role & Impact on Home Design
In this lesson, take a look at some of the technological features that are transforming the way we live our houses. Explore the growing potential of house automation and learn about how home design is being transformed by all these innovations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Family & Consumer Science 6-12 (052): Practice & Study Guide course
- Analyzing Families
- Factors That Impact Personality Development
- Decision Making & Problem Solving in Families
- Challenges During Marriages
- Preparing for Parenthood
- Prenatal Care, Fetal Development & Childbirth
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- Understanding Parenting Styles
- Handling Stress & Crises
- Clothing Selection as a Consumer
- Clothing, Textiles & Technology
- The American Economic System
- Money & Resource Management
- Understanding Consumerism
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Fundamentals of Nutrition & Wellness
- Providing Nutritional Care
- Nutritional Deficiencies, Eating Disorders & Addictions
- Developing Meal Planning & Service Skills
- Food Selection, Safety & Storage
- Food Preparation Methods
- Professional Knowledge of Family & Consumer Science Field
- FTCE Family & Consumer Science 6-12 Flashcards