About This Chapter
Who's it for?
This unit of our 6th Grade Language Arts course will benefit homeschool parents by providing them with:
- new ways to teach the concepts in this course
- strategies to engage students during the learning process
- recommended activities and discussion questions to pair with lessons
How it works:
This helpful collection of homeschool resources offers homeschool parents relevant tools to make planning lessons easy.
- Integrate these resources into your educational routine to vary instruction and engage your child.
- Reference our materials as inspiration for your lesson plans, activities, and assignments.
1. 6th Grade Language Arts Lesson Plan
In this lesson, students will learn the difference between denotations and connotations. Students will watch a video, answer discussion prompts, complete a quiz and participate in an activity.
2. Reading Comprehension Lesson Plan
Use this Study.com lesson plan to teach your students strategies to use before, during, and after reading to help remember and understand what they read. Practice with text.
3. James & the Giant Peach Comprehension Questions
With enchanting characters and an engaging plot, students can easily forget they're reading for understanding in ''James and the Giant Peach''. Check on what they understand during and after reading with these questions.
4. James & the Giant Peach Discussion Questions
'James and the Giant Peach' is an exciting exploration of an imaginary world. Use these discussion questions to evaluate student comprehension, critical thinking, and analytical skills.
5. Matilda Comprehension Questions
'Matilda' is a book filled with complex characters and a bit of magic. Utilize the following questions to ensure student comprehension, challenge critical thinking, and develop literary analysis skills.
6. Matilda Discussion Questions
The story of Matilda has many elements that provide opportunities for discussion. From characters to events, this story encourages students to use critical thinking skills. The questions in this lesson will help facilitate an effective discussion with your students.
7. Matilda Writing Prompts
Roald Dahl's 'Matilda' can be an engaging and meaningful text for students. This lesson offers some writing prompts to help them process their work with the novel.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 6th Grade Language Arts: Homeschool Curriculum course
- English Spelling Rules & Conventions
- 6th Grade Vocabulary Skills & Word Usage
- Parts of Speech Usage
- Pronoun Usage & Agreement Basics
- Interjections, Conjunctions & Prepositions
- Punctuation & Sentence Structure
- The Writing Process & Types of Writings
- Speaking, Listening & Study Skills
- 6th Grade Reading Strategies Basics
- 6th Grade Reading Comprehension
- Characteristics of Literature
- Characteristics of Literary Elements
- Characteristics of Literary Devices
- 6th Grade Reading Practice: Matilda
- 6th Grade Reading Practice: James & the Giant Peach