About This Chapter
Honors Algebra 1: Composing Algebraic Equations & Expressions - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
The series of lessons in this chapter will instruct you in composing algebraic equations and expressions. The lessons are in text and video format. Each lesson has a quiz to take after completion to assess your understanding of the material you just studied. If you need to review any of the video lessons, you can refer to the transcript or go to the timeline tool and replay the exact section you want. After completing this chapter, you will know:
- Simple algebraic expressions
- Coefficients and leading coefficients
- Constants, like terms, negative signs, inequalities and simplifying algebraic equations
- Common algebraic equations
- One-step equations
- The correct setup to solve math problems
|Evaluating Simple Algebraic Expressions||Learn how to evaluate algebraic expressions.|
|Coefficients: Definition & Concept||Get to know coefficients.|
|Leading Coefficient: Definition & Explanation||Analyze how a leading coefficient can help you predict what a graph will look like.|
|What Is a Constant in Math? - Definition & Overview||Recognize and pick out constant values in math.|
|Combining Like Terms in Algebraic Expressions||See how to combine like terms in algebra.|
|Practice Simplifying Algebraic Expressions||Explore how to simplify algebraic expressions.|
|Negative Signs and Simplifying Algebraic Expressions||Learn to work with negative signs.|
|Writing Equations with Inequalities: Open Sentences and True/False Statements||Find out how to work with inequalities in equations.|
|Common Algebraic Equations: Linear Quadratic, Polynomial, and More||Get familiar with the most common algebraic equations.|
|Defining, Translating, & Solving One-Step Equations||Examine how to write a math equation out of a word problem.|
|What Is the Correct Setup to Solve Math Problems? : Writing Arithmetic Expressions||Discuss the correct way of setting up and solving word problems.|
1. Evaluating Simple Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll learn how to evaluate algebraic expressions, which involves substituting numbers for variables and following the order of operations. By the end of the lesson, you'll be an algebraic expression expert.
2. Coefficients: Definition & Concept
Coefficients come in different forms and can tell you many things about a graph. Learn more about coefficient in this lesson, and check your understanding with a quiz.
3. Leading Coefficient: Definition & Explanation
Leading coefficients can help you predict what a graph will look like before you actually see it. In this lesson, you'll learn about leading coefficients and how to use them.
4. What is a Constant in Math? - Definition & Overview
This lesson will discuss the meaning of the word constant as well as define it. It will show you how to recognize and pick out constant values of given expressions through a series of examples.
5. Combining Like Terms in Algebraic Expressions
When you have an algebraic expression that's much too long, it would be great if you could simplify it. That's when knowing how to combine like terms comes in. In this lesson, we'll learn the process of combining like terms and practice simplifying expressions.
6. Practice Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll practice simplifying a variety of algebraic expressions. We'll use two key concepts, combining like terms and the distributive property, to help us simplify.
7. Negative Signs and Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
Don't let negative signs get you down. In this lesson, we'll stay positive as we practice simplifying algebraic expressions that have those tricky negative signs.
8. Writing Equations with Inequalities: Open Sentences and True/False Statements
After watching this video lesson you will be able to write open sentences and true or false statements that use inequalities. You will also be able to solve and/or determine whether a particular inequality is true or false.
9. Common Algebraic Equations: Linear, Quadratic, Polynomial, and More
Watch this video lesson to see the kinds of equations that you will come across most often in algebra. Learn to distinguish them by just looking for the identifying components of each equation.
10. Defining, Translating, & Solving One-Step Equations
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can write a simple math equation when you are given a word problem. Learn how to translate words into math symbols. Learn the shortcuts to remember.
11. What is the Correct Setup to Solve Math Problems?: Writing Arithmetic Expressions
When it comes to solving math word problems, there is a correct way of setting up the problem and labeling the various parts of the problem so that you can solve the problem easily. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can do it.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Honors Algebra 1 Textbook course
- Honors Algebra 1: Basic Arithmetic Review
- Honors Algebra 1: Fractions & Decimal Review
- Honors Algebra 1: Calculations, Ratios, Percent & Proportions
- Honors Algebra 1: Properties of Real Numbers
- Honors Algebra 1: Exponents & Scientific Notation
- High School Algebra: Radical Expressions
- Honors Algebra 1: Solving Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- Honors Algebra 1: Properties of Functions
- Honors Algebra 1: Absolute Value Expressions & Equations
- Honors Algebra 1: Matrices in Linear Equations
- High School Algebra: Working With Inequalities
- High School Algebra: Properties of Exponents
- High School Algebra: Properties of Polynomial Functions
- Honors Algebra 1: Vectors in Linear Algebra
- High School Algebra: Complex and Imaginary Numbers
- High School Algebra: Algebraic Distribution
- Honors Algebra 1: Linear Equations
- High School Algebra: Factoring
- Honors Algebra 1: Factoring with FOIL, Graphing Parabolas & Solving Quadratics
- Honors Algebra 1: Graphing & Factoring Quadratic Equations
- High School Algebra: Rational Expressions
- High School Algebra: Cubic Equations
- Honors Algebra 1: Descriptive Statistics
- Honors Algebra 1: Data Analysis
- Honors Algebra 1: Probability & Statistics
- Honors Algebra 1: Units of Measurement in Geometry
- Honors Algebra 1: Shapes of Geometry
- Honors Algebra 1: Similar Polygons
- Honors Algebra 1: Pre-Calculus Geometry
- High School Algebra: Well-Known Equations
- Honors Algebra 1: Maximum & Minimum Value of Functions
- Honors Algebra 1: Patterns in Math