About This Chapter
Honors Algebra 1: Graphing & Factoring Quadratic Equations - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
In this chapter, you'll take a look at some effective techniques for factoring quadratic equations and learn how to graph different quadratic equations. Our short, engaging lessons are taught by professional instructors and include videos with convenient video tags and text transcripts with key terms in bold. In this lesson, you'll learn:
- How to complete a square
- Methods for solving basic quadratic equations by factoring
- Tips to solve quadratic trinomials by factoring
- The properties of double line graphs and double bar graphs
- The b-value in a quadratic equation and how it changes the location of a parabola
|How to Complete the Square||Learn to determine values of a parabola by completing the square.|
|Completing the Square Practice Problems||Solve practice problems for completing the square.|
|How to Solve a Quadratic Equation by Factoring||Analyze ways to use factoring in quadratic equations.|
|Solving Quadratic Trinomials by Factoring||Discover how to use factoring to solve quadratic trinomials.|
|B-Value: Definition and Explanation||Explore the use of b-value on a graph.|
|Double Bar Graph: Definition and Examples||Examine ways to create questions and interpret data from a double bar graph.|
|Double Line Graph: Definition and Examples||Examine the function of a double line graph.|
|Graph Quadrants: Examples and Definition||Take a look at the four quadrants and their use in understanding mathematical patterns.|
|How to Factor the Difference of Cubes: Formula and Practice Problems||Learn how an expression can be factored as a difference of cubes.|
1. How to Complete the Square
Completing the square can help you learn where the maximum or minimum of a parabola is. If you're running a business and trying to make some money, it might be a good idea to know how to do this! Find out what I'm talking about here.
2. Completing the Square Practice Problems
Completing the square is one of the most confusing things you'll be asked to do in an algebra class. Once you get the general idea, it's best to get in there and actually do a few practice problems to make sure you understand the process. Do that here!
3. How to Solve a Quadratic Equation by Factoring
If your favorite video game, 'Furious Fowls,' gave you the quadratic equation for each shot you made, would you be able to solve the equation to make sure every one hit its target? If not, you will after watching this video!
4. Solving Quadratic Trinomials by Factoring
Factoring is a quick and easy way to find the solutions to a quadratic trinomial. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use this method to solve your quadratics.
5. B-Value: Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, learn about how the b-value in a quadratic equation affects the location of the parabola. Also learn how the other letters affect the parabola in conjunction with the b-value.
6. Double Bar Graph: Definition & Examples
We will explore the function and examples of a double bar graph. Also in this lesson you will learn to create questions and interpret data from a double bar graph.
7. Double Line Graph: Definition & Examples
We will explore the function and examples of a double line graph. In this lesson, you will also learn to create questions and interpret data from a double line graph.
8. Graph Quadrants: Examples & Definition
The x-axis and y-axis of a graph divide the graph into four quadrants. Learn about the four quadrants, how they are different from each other, and how they are useful in understanding mathematical patterns.
9. How to Factor the Difference of Cubes: Formula & Practice Problems
Learn how to determine if an expression can be factored as a difference of cubes and also how to use the difference of cubes formula to factor these types of expressions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Honors Algebra 1 Textbook course
- Honors Algebra 1: Basic Arithmetic Review
- Honors Algebra 1: Fractions & Decimal Review
- Honors Algebra 1: Calculations, Ratios, Percent & Proportions
- Honors Algebra 1: Properties of Real Numbers
- Honors Algebra 1: Exponents & Scientific Notation
- High School Algebra: Radical Expressions
- Honors Algebra 1: Composing Algebraic Equations & Expressions
- Honors Algebra 1: Solving Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- Honors Algebra 1: Properties of Functions
- Honors Algebra 1: Absolute Value Expressions & Equations
- Honors Algebra 1: Matrices in Linear Equations
- High School Algebra: Working With Inequalities
- High School Algebra: Properties of Exponents
- High School Algebra: Properties of Polynomial Functions
- Honors Algebra 1: Vectors in Linear Algebra
- High School Algebra: Complex and Imaginary Numbers
- High School Algebra: Algebraic Distribution
- Honors Algebra 1: Linear Equations
- High School Algebra: Factoring
- Honors Algebra 1: Factoring with FOIL, Graphing Parabolas & Solving Quadratics
- High School Algebra: Rational Expressions
- High School Algebra: Cubic Equations
- Honors Algebra 1: Descriptive Statistics
- Honors Algebra 1: Data Analysis
- Honors Algebra 1: Probability & Statistics
- Honors Algebra 1: Units of Measurement in Geometry
- Honors Algebra 1: Shapes of Geometry
- Honors Algebra 1: Similar Polygons
- Honors Algebra 1: Pre-Calculus Geometry
- High School Algebra: Well-Known Equations
- Honors Algebra 1: Maximum & Minimum Value of Functions
- Honors Algebra 1: Patterns in Math