About This Chapter
Honors Algebra 1: Patterns in Math - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Finding and using patterns in math is fundamental to solving problems and identifying information. By completing the video lessons in this chapter, you'll explore different techniques for establishing patterns and using them to solve equations. Take self-assessment quizzes as you work your way through the chapter to apply what you've learned. Reach out to an instructor if you need further assistance. In these lessons, you'll examine:
- The Fibonacci sequence
- What a mathematical sequence is
- How to classify geometric sequences
- Methods for using sigma
- Ways to calculate both an arithmetic and geometric series
|Fibonacci Sequence: Examples, Golden Ratio & Nature||Identify the Fibonacci sequence in nature.|
|What is a Mathematical Sequence?||Discover components of mathematical sequences.|
|How to Find and Classify an Arithmetic Sequence||Pinpoint arithmetic sequences.|
|Finding and Classifying Geometric Sequences||Develop an understanding of the common ratio.|
|Summation Notation and Mathematical Series||Examine the use of the Greek letter sigma.|
|How to Calculate an Arithmetic Series||Calculate sum without adding each item.|
|How to Calculate a Geometric Series||Determine a geometric series.|
|Arithmetic and Geometric Series: Practice Problems||Test your knowledge with practice problems.|
1. Fibonacci Sequence: Examples, Golden Ratio & Nature
The Fibonacci sequence is seen all around us. Learn how the Fibonacci sequence relates to the golden ratio and explore how your body and various items, like seashells and flowers, demonstrate the sequence in the real world.
2. What is a Mathematical Sequence?
Math is often the most fun when it acts like a puzzle to be solved. The branch of math where this is the most true involves sequences. Get an introduction to the basics and important vocabulary, as well as learn where sequences appear in nature!
3. How to Find and Classify an Arithmetic Sequence
Arithmetic sequences are everywhere, and with a few tricks you learn here, you could end up looking like a psychic the next time you go to a movie or a football game!
4. Finding and Classifying Geometric Sequences
Want your YouTube video to get a lot of hits? Besides including a cute baby or an adorable cat, getting your video to have a big common ratio is the key. Learn what I'm talking about here!
5. Summation Notation and Mathematical Series
The capital Greek letter sigma might be most recognizable as a common symbol in a fraternity or sorority, but it's used for some pretty cool math tricks too. In this lesson, learn how to use sigma for things like determining how many seats are in Michigan Stadium.
6. How to Calculate an Arithmetic Series
In this lesson, you'll learn how to sum up any arithmetic sequence without having to add up each and every term. You'll never guess the circumstances that led to the discovery of this marvelous formula.
7. How to Calculate a Geometric Series
If you're not satisfied with knowing how many views your YouTube video will get any one day and need to know how many total views you're getting, geometric series are for you! Learn more in this lesson.
8. Arithmetic and Geometric Series: Practice Problems
There are many different types of problems concerning series and sequences - including some that are pretty abstract. From bouncing balls to adding up odd numbers, test your skills here with additional arithmetic and geometric series practice!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Honors Algebra 1 Textbook course
- Honors Algebra 1: Basic Arithmetic Review
- Honors Algebra 1: Fractions & Decimal Review
- Honors Algebra 1: Calculations, Ratios, Percent & Proportions
- Honors Algebra 1: Properties of Real Numbers
- Honors Algebra 1: Exponents & Scientific Notation
- High School Algebra: Radical Expressions
- Honors Algebra 1: Composing Algebraic Equations & Expressions
- Honors Algebra 1: Solving Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- Honors Algebra 1: Properties of Functions
- Honors Algebra 1: Absolute Value Expressions & Equations
- Honors Algebra 1: Matrices in Linear Equations
- High School Algebra: Working With Inequalities
- High School Algebra: Properties of Exponents
- High School Algebra: Properties of Polynomial Functions
- Honors Algebra 1: Vectors in Linear Algebra
- High School Algebra: Complex and Imaginary Numbers
- High School Algebra: Algebraic Distribution
- Honors Algebra 1: Linear Equations
- High School Algebra: Factoring
- Honors Algebra 1: Factoring with FOIL, Graphing Parabolas & Solving Quadratics
- Honors Algebra 1: Graphing & Factoring Quadratic Equations
- High School Algebra: Rational Expressions
- High School Algebra: Cubic Equations
- Honors Algebra 1: Descriptive Statistics
- Honors Algebra 1: Data Analysis
- Honors Algebra 1: Probability & Statistics
- Honors Algebra 1: Units of Measurement in Geometry
- Honors Algebra 1: Shapes of Geometry
- Honors Algebra 1: Similar Polygons
- Honors Algebra 1: Pre-Calculus Geometry
- High School Algebra: Well-Known Equations
- Honors Algebra 1: Maximum & Minimum Value of Functions