About This Chapter
Terminology for the Endocrine System & Hormones - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
The endocrine system is composed of various organs and glands that work together to regulate many of our bodily functions. Learn their names, locations, functions and possible disorders. In this chapter, you can find out about the glands that monitor growth and body fluid balance. You'll also study the reproductive hormones of the testes and ovaries. By the time you've worked your way through the lessons, you'll be well-informed about the following topics:
- Symptoms of pituitary dysfunction
- Thyroid disorders
- Treatments for adrenal gland disorders
- Pineal gland functions
- Problems related to the gonads
|Structures & Functions of the Endocrine System||Study the pituitary gland, thymus, leptin, and more.|
|The Functions of Important Hormones||Explore the essential human hormones and from where they are secreted.|
|Hormones of the Testes and Ovaries: Functions & Anatomical Features||Discover how the male and female hormones influence secondary sex characteristics development.|
|Hormones of the Placenta: Estrogen, Progesterone & hCG||Learn about the roles played by the placenta's hormones.|
|The HPG Axis: Hormones of Male Reproduction||Examine different hormones related to the male reproductive system.|
|Sex Hormones & Pituitary Hormones Terminology||Review significant vocabulary words related to various aspects of sex hormones and pituitary hormones.|
|Problems and Treatments of the Gonads||Learn more about gametes, puberty, testosterone, estrogen and HCG.|
1. Structures & Functions of the Endocrine System
This lesson will cover the basics of the endocrine system. We will discuss different types of hormones and examine how the glands and hormones work together to make up this system.
2. The Functions of Important Hormones
This lesson presents the function of each of the major hormones in the body and identifies the gland that secretes it. Take the short self-assessment quiz when you are through.
3. Hormones of the Testes and Ovaries: Functions & Anatomical Features
The testes and the ovaries secrete steroid hormones that help you grow and develop. In this lesson, we will learn about the female hormones, estrogen and progesterone, and the male hormone, testosterone, and how these hormones influence the development of secondary sex characteristics.
4. Hormones of the Placenta: Estrogen, Progesterone & hCG
The placenta is an endocrine gland that is only present during pregnancy. In this lesson, you will learn about the hormones it produces, including human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG), progesterone, estrogen, and human placental lactogen (hPL).
5. The HPG Axis: Hormones of Male Reproduction
Do you know how your body communicates? How does the brain get in touch with other parts of the body? In this lesson, you will learn about how the male's brain uses hormones to communicate to the testes as a way of regulating reproduction.
6. Sex Hormones & Pituitary Hormones Terminology
We will look at the hormones that are released by the pituitary gland and the reproductive glands. We will discuss the functions of these hormones and how some of them work together.
7. Problems & Treatments of the Gonads
Can men develop breasts? Can you reach puberty several years before the normal age of onset of puberty? The answers may surprise you as we discuss some of the problems related to the gonads.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Medical Terminology: Help & Review course
- Fundamentals of Medical Terminology
- Basic Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Terminology for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Basics & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary Basics for Genetics, Cells & Structures
- Medical Terms for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Oncology Basics & Terms
- Medical Terminology for the Skeletal System
- Vocabulary for the Muscular System & Its Functions
- Vocabulary for the Cardiovascular System
- Terminology for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Terminology for Diagnosis & Treatment of Respiratory Diseases
- Medical Vocabulary for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathologies
- GI Tract Diagnosis & Treatment Terminology
- Medical Terms for the Urinary System
- Terminology of the Nervous System
- Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions
- Terminology for Diagnostics & Treatments of the Nervous System
- Medical Terms Related to the Eyes
- Medical Terminology Related to the Ears
- Terminology for the Integumentary System
- Endocrine Gland Disorder Vocabulary
- Pancreatic Disorder Vocabulary
- Adrenal Gland Disorder Terminology
- Male Reproductive System & STDs: Medical Terminology
- Female Reproductive System: Medical Terminology
- Medical Terminology for Major Pathogens
- Medical Terminology Used for Diagnosis & Pharmacology