About This Chapter
Hospitality Industry Basics - Chapter Summary
This comprehensive chapter provides an overall glance at the hospitality industry. Using short and engaging lessons taught by expert instructors, these lessons will teach you about the industry's history, products, and trends, as well as its challenges and future growth. You'll understand why training is so important in this particular industry and appreciate the role of customer service and guest satisfaction. In addition to gaining an overall knowledge of the industry's different sectors and services, you'll look at case studies, research and statistics related to the industry.
These lessons are designed to be simple and efficient, which helps you enjoy the learning experience and study whenever it's convenient. Text-based lessons clearly highlight essential industry definitions and provide illustrative examples to help you remember the concepts you learn. Interactive practice quizzes are also included to help you assess your understanding of the material.
How It Helps
Current or aspiring professionals in the hospitality industry must have a comprehensive understanding of the industry as a whole. Having a thorough knowledge of the industry's purpose, history, challenges and trends can enhance a professional's skill set and help them understand how particular aspects of this field relate to one another. If you are currently employed in the hospitality industry, you can study these lessons to supplement your overall knowledge. If you're thinking about making a career transition into hospitality, you can use these lessons to give yourself a competitive advantage.
By the end of this chapter, you'll be able to:
- Understand the history and origin of the hospitality industry
- Project the future growth of the industry and understand its current challenges
- Know the industry's characteristics, products sectors and services
- Analyze hospitality industry statistics
- Have an awareness of the industry's technology and trends
- Determine the roles of leadership and supervision in the hospitality industry
- Assess labor and legal issues related to the industry
- Evaluate the importance of hospitality industry training
- Develop an understanding of industry-related skills, competition and turnover
- Appreciate customer service and guest satisfaction
- Study research related to the industry
- Identify the industry's health, safety and security measures
- Tell how outsourcing and globalization affects the hospitality industry
1. Hospitality Industry: Definition & Overview
What is the hospitality industry? This lesson defines all aspects of the hospitality industry and explains different areas within the industry, its main focus, and factors that impact the industry.
2. Hospitality Industry: History & Origin
The background of the hospitality industry is quite diverse and spans many countries and time periods. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the history of the hospitality industry.
3. Hospitality Industry: Growth & Future
Hotels, restaurants, and flights make up the bulk of the hospitality industry. In this lesson, we will learn how this industry has grown and what the predictions say about the future. Come along as we learn more about the hospitality industry.
4. Hospitality Industry: Products & Characteristics
It's one of the biggest industries around, something that we've all participated in, whether in a job or as a customer. We're talking about the hospitality industry, and in this lesson we'll explore its many forms.
5. Hospitality Industry: Market Statistics & Analysis
The hospitality industry has hit some highs and lows over the past decade. This lesson reviews the performance of the industry and considers the challenges for the future.
6. Hospitality Industry: Trends & Technology
The hospitality industry is a vast industry that is ever changing. We will discuss some trends in the industry and the technology that is driving these trends.
7. Hospitality Industry: Leadership & Supervision
Within the hospitality industry, there are several leaders and supervisors who assist in the organization's operations. This lesson will introduce you to the general title of the leaders and how you can identify the different types of leaders.
8. Hospitality Industry: Labor & Legal Issues
Lawsuits and negative press are detrimental to any business, but particularly for companies that rely on their reputations, such as in the hospitality industry. Common labor and legal issues can include discrimination, unfair pay practices, workplace safety, and retaliation.
9. Importance of Training in the Hospitality Industry
This lesson discusses the importance of training in the hospitality industry. It also provides examples of how training benefits organizations in the hospitality industry.
10. Hospitality Industry: Skills, Competition & Turnover
The hospitality industry employs a large part of the workforce, including workers at restaurants, hotels, and airports. This lesson will take a look at the specific skills needed in this service industry, the competition within the industry, and the challenges of turnover.
11. Hospitality Industry: Customer Service & Guest Satisfaction
This lesson discusses customer service and guest satisfaction in the hospitality industry. It also describes why they are important and how they impact the company's success.
12. Sectors & Services of the Hospitality Industry
Visiting a new location is often something we all look forward to. Whether it's a yearly event or something that is a rare treat, each time we jump on a plane, stay in a hotel, or eat at a restaurant we are participating in the hospitality industry.
13. Challenges of the Hospitality Industry
The hospitality industry is a fast-changing and multifaceted industry. This lesson will look at some hospitality industry challenges, such as changing customers and technologies. Read on to learn more.
14. Hospitality Industry: Case Study & Research
The hospitality industry provides many examples of businesses navigating challenges to keep their company on the cutting edge. In this lesson, you'll learn more about Marriott and how they're fighting back against their competitors.
15. What is Tourism Management?
Tourism management is a broad field with many opportunities. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the basics of tourism management and gain some insight into a career in the industry.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hospitality & Tourism Management Training course
- Operating in the Hospitality Industry
- Hospitality Management
- The International Hospitality Industry
- Customer Service & Housekeeping
- Restaurant Services & Types
- Menu Planning
- Food Preparation
- Food Storage & Emergency Preparation
- Inventory Control
- Marketing in Hospitality
- Financial Management in Hospitality