About This Chapter
Hospitality Industry Overview - Chapter Summary
If you are interested in getting a quality understanding of the hospitality industry, this chapter can help. Learn the history, services and functions of this industry with help from entertaining lessons you can access via any computer, smartphone or tablet. Gain greater insight into tourism management, various hospitality sectors, and the growth and future of the hospitality industry. Test your understanding by taking multiple-choice lesson quizzes and a practice exam.
By the end of this chapter, you will be able to do the following:
- Define and describe the hospitality industry
- Discuss the history and origin of the hospitality industry
- List the hospitality industry's services and sectors
- Describe products and characteristics of the hospitality industry
- Share details about skills, competition and turnover in the hospitality industry
- Examine hospitality industry statistics and analysis
- Provide details about the hospitality industry's growth and future
- Show an understanding of tourism management
- Describe the recreation, leisure, gaming, conference and event sectors
- Demonstrate knowledge of hospitality industry case studies and research
- Explain the role of company mission statements
- Differentiate between program objectives, vision statements and mission statements
1. Hospitality Industry: Definition & Overview
What is the hospitality industry? This lesson defines all aspects of the hospitality industry and explains different areas within the industry, its main focus, and factors that impact the industry.
2. Hospitality Industry: History & Origin
The background of the hospitality industry is quite diverse and spans many countries and time periods. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the history of the hospitality industry.
3. Sectors & Services of the Hospitality Industry
Visiting a new location is often something we all look forward to. Whether it's a yearly event or something that is a rare treat, each time we jump on a plane, stay in a hotel, or eat at a restaurant we are participating in the hospitality industry.
4. Hospitality Industry: Products & Characteristics
It's one of the biggest industries around, something that we've all participated in, whether in a job or as a customer. We're talking about the hospitality industry, and in this lesson we'll explore its many forms.
5. Hospitality Industry: Skills, Competition & Turnover
The hospitality industry employs a large part of the workforce, including workers at restaurants, hotels, and airports. This lesson will take a look at the specific skills needed in this service industry, the competition within the industry, and the challenges of turnover.
6. Hospitality Industry: Market Statistics & Analysis
The hospitality industry has hit some highs and lows over the past decade. This lesson reviews the performance of the industry and considers the challenges for the future.
7. Hospitality Industry: Growth & Future
Hotels, restaurants, and flights make up the bulk of the hospitality industry. In this lesson, we will learn how this industry has grown and what the predictions say about the future. Come along as we learn more about the hospitality industry.
8. What is Tourism Management?
Tourism management is a broad field with many opportunities. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the basics of tourism management and gain some insight into a career in the industry.
9. What is the Recreation, Leisure & Gaming Sector?
The recreation, leisure, and gaming sector is comprised of many different organizations and sub-categories. In this lesson, we will look at how diversified this industry really is.
10. What is the Conference & Event Sector?
The conference and event sector is an important part of the hospitality and tourism market. This segment tailors to corporate and private gatherings for only a few to thousands of participants for conferences, meetings, and special functions.
11. Hospitality Industry: Case Study & Research
The hospitality industry provides many examples of businesses navigating challenges to keep their company on the cutting edge. In this lesson, you'll learn more about Marriott and how they're fighting back against their competitors.
12. Company Mission Statements: Definition & Examples
This lesson explains the role of a mission statement in an organization. Learn the definition of a mission statement, how they are created and how they are used.
13. Determining Program Objectives, Mission Statement & Vision
In this lesson, we will discuss and differentiate between program objectives, mission statements, and vision statements. The lesson will also address important related factors.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hospitality 101: Introduction to Hospitality course
- Leadership & Management in the Hospitality Industry
- Key Management Functions in the Hospitality Industry
- Communication & Decision-Making in the Hospitality Industry
- Improving Service in the Hospitality Industry
- Planning & Organizing in the Hospitality Industry
- Control Systems & Issues in the Hospitality Industry
- Hotel Classifications & Operations
- Food, Beverage & Alcohol Operations
- Restaurant Organization & Operations Overview
- Tourism & Recreation
- Gaming Industry Overview
- Meetings, Conventions, Expositions & Special Events
- Studying for Hospitality 101