About This Chapter
Hospitality Industry & Public Relations - Chapter Summary
Why is public relations an important tool? What public relations strategies are effective in the hospitality and tourism industries? These are among the questions you will explore when you use the lessons in this chapter. You'll review public relations techniques, crisis management methods, communication processes and corporate social responsibility. After reviewing each lesson, you can take a self-assessment quiz to determine if you need further review or are ready to move on to the next topic. Your Dashboard makes it easy to keep track of your progress through this chapter. After completing your review, you should be able to:
- Relate the differences between public relations and advertising
- Detail the benefits of public relations
- Develop an effective public relations plan
- Use traditional media relations methods, such as press releases and pitches
- Explain the importance and role of press relations in the hospitality industry
- Define corporate communication and its use in the hospitality industry
- Discuss how the hospitality industry can be socially responsible
- Describe crisis management in relation to public relations
1. How Public Relations Is Different from Advertising
Public relations helps companies build more personal relationships with their customers using advertising messages as their foundation. Watch this video to see how public relations creates positive images for companies and products.
2. Why Companies Use Public Relations
This lesson covers the reasons why companies use public relations as part of their promotional mix. Discover different public relations tools that you have likely seen everyday.
3. How to Develop a Public Relations Plan
Companies utilize well thought out public relations plans in order to reach their business goals. In this lesson, we will learn about developing a public relations plan.
4. Traditional Media Relations: Professional Techniques
Traditional media relations still play a vital role for public relations practitioners. In this lesson, we will discuss how to make a pitch, how to write a good press release, and how to use a newswire.
5. Press Relations Strategies in Hospitality & Tourism
Press relations can be a helpful and immediate way to get free coverage for events and newsworthy happenings at your hospitality or tourism business. Use the tips in this lesson to create meaningful relationships with your local press, journalists, and media.
6. Corporate Communication in the Hospitality & Tourism Industry
Corporate communication plays an important role in sharing information and ensuring that people are well-informed. With effective strategies, corporations can provide information to the right people, at the right time, and in the right way.
7. Corporate Social Responsibility in the Hospitality Industry
This lesson discusses the role of corporate social responsibility in the hospitality industry. It also looks at areas where organizations can be socially responsible and the benefits of doing so.
8. Crisis Management in the Hospitality Industry
Being prepared for a crisis begins before a disastrous situation unfolds. In this lesson, you'll learn more about best practices in navigating crisis situations in the hospitality industry.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hospitality 301: Hospitality Marketing course
- Basics of Hospitality Marketing
- Hospitality Industry Trends
- Hospitality Marketing Research
- Consumer Behavior in the Hospitality Industry
- Hospitality Market Segmentation
- Pricing for the Hospitality Industry
- Hospitality Marketing Channels
- Hospitality Marketing Strategies
- Advertising for Hospitality
- Selling for the Hospitality Industry
- Hospitality Marketing & Technology
- Required Assignments for Hospitality 301
- Studying for Hospitality 301