About This Chapter
Hospitality Marketing Channels - Chapter Summary
Marketing channels play an important role in the success of a business. This chapter helps you learn important terms and functions relating to hospitality marketing channels. You'll cover distribution channels, communication channels, channel intermediaries and the act of distribution in the hospitality/tourism industry. Use your Dashboard to keep track of your progress through this chapter, and take self-assessment quizzes to determine your depth of knowledge and which topics you might need to continue reviewing. After completing this chapter, you should have the ability to:
- Define the marketing channel and what it allows producers to do
- Explain types of distribution systems
- List the functions handled by channel intermediaries
- Identify conflict in a marketing logistics plan and explain how to eliminate it
- Integrate emerging and traditional marketing channels
- Use various forms of mobile marketing
- Detail the use of marketing channels and distribution in the hospitality industry
1. Marketing Channel: Definition and Function in the Marketplace
In this lesson, we'll learn about the marketing channel, which allows producers to deliver their product to consumers in the correct quantity, type and location. Without help from additional channel members, most companies would not be able to increase their target market reach and satisfy their customer needs.
2. Distribution Channels in Marketing: Definition, Types & Examples
A distribution channel is a necessity in business. This lesson will discuss these channels, the types of distribution systems, and the goods and services that move along these channels.
3. Channel Intermediaries: Definition and Function in Business
Marketing managers must have an effective physical distribution strategy, and companies must be able to deliver their products to the consumer. Most managers utilize channel intermediaries to help with transactional, logistical and facilitating functions. Learn more about this process here.
4. Channel Conflict: Horizontal & Vertical Conflict
A marketing logistics plan can have channel conflict. This occurs when channel members do not agree with pricing, distribution or even logistical operations. The channel member's ultimate goal is to create a comprehensive channel partnership to eliminate any conflict and drive product efficiently to consumers.
5. Emerging Integrated Marketing Communication Channels
There are a myriad of channels today through which marketers can reach their audience. In this lesson, you'll learn about some new and emerging channels and how they can be linked with traditional channels.
6. Using Mobile Channels in Effective Marketing
Mobile marketing is an entirely different animal than other forms of marketing. In this lesson, you'll learn why and explore how companies can utilize mobile marketing to their best advantage.
7. Marketing Channels of Distribution in the Hospitality & Tourism Industry
Creating a marketing channel of distribution can have a positive impact on the hospitality and tourism industry. It is important to understand how this concept applies to services, as they have a substantial impact on the industry.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hospitality 301: Hospitality Marketing course
- Basics of Hospitality Marketing
- Hospitality Industry Trends
- Hospitality Marketing Research
- Consumer Behavior in the Hospitality Industry
- Hospitality Market Segmentation
- Pricing for the Hospitality Industry
- Hospitality Marketing Strategies
- Advertising for Hospitality
- Hospitality Industry & Public Relations
- Selling for the Hospitality Industry
- Hospitality Marketing & Technology
- Required Assignments for Hospitality 301
- Studying for Hospitality 301