About This Chapter
Hospitality, Tourism & Recreation - Chapter Summary
This comprehensive online chapter offers a high-level overview of the hospitality, tourism and recreation industry. Watch these engaging and informative video lessons to learn about the foundations of tourism management, hospitality leadership, hotel recreational activities, the event planning cycle and much more. When you're finished working through the chapter, you should be able to:
- Define the major components of tourism management and the hospitality industry
- Explain why people travel and describe tourism's economic impact
- Discuss the importance of leadership, supervision, customer service and guest satisfaction in the hospitality industry
- Assess competition and turnover in the hospitality industry
- Recognize essential risk management and crisis management skills in the hospitality industry
- Identify the functions and responsibilities of hotel front offices
- Evaluate the elements of housekeeping in the hospitality industry
These lessons are designed to be short and simple so you can easily understand the material and quickly move through the chapter. You can take the accompanying self-assessment quizzes to make sure you fully understand the information. If you have any questions along the way, you can reach out to our expert subject-matter experts online. Finally, we've made the chapter available around-the-clock and accessible on any device that has an Internet connection.
1. Hospitality Industry: Definition & Overview
What is the hospitality industry? This lesson defines all aspects of the hospitality industry and explains different areas within the industry, its main focus, and factors that impact the industry.
2. Economic Impact of Tourism
In this lesson, we will discuss the various ways in which the tourism industry can impact the economy, focusing on job creation, transportation, and wildlife/nature conservation.
3. What is Tourism Management?
Tourism management is a broad field with many opportunities. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the basics of tourism management and gain some insight into a career in the industry.
4. Why do People Travel?
Travel can happen for many reasons, including business and personal visits. This lesson discusses a variety of reasons people go to other areas and the impact those trips can have on a local community.
5. Hospitality Industry: Leadership & Supervision
Within the hospitality industry, there are several leaders and supervisors who assist in the organization's operations. This lesson will introduce you to the general title of the leaders and how you can identify the different types of leaders.
6. Hospitality Industry: Skills, Competition & Turnover
The hospitality industry employs a large part of the workforce, including workers at restaurants, hotels, and airports. This lesson will take a look at the specific skills needed in this service industry, the competition within the industry, and the challenges of turnover.
7. Hospitality Industry: Customer Service & Guest Satisfaction
This lesson discusses customer service and guest satisfaction in the hospitality industry. It also describes why they are important and how they impact the company's success.
8. Risk Management in the Hospitality Industry
Hospitality providers face a unique set of risks to their daily operations. In this lesson, you'll learn more about specific risks and steps for implementing a risk management plan to mitigate them.
9. Crisis Management in the Hospitality Industry
Being prepared for a crisis begins before a disastrous situation unfolds. In this lesson, you'll learn more about best practices in navigating crisis situations in the hospitality industry.
10. Hotel Front Office: Functions & Responsibilities
In this lesson, you'll learn about the many tasks that the front office of a hotel is responsible for. You'll see that the front office keeps working long after the guests are asleep!
11. The Full Cycle of Event Planning in a Hotel
Planning an event, like a wedding or a conference, in a hotel can be very involved. In this lesson, we will break the process down into the major points, like the role of sales and marketing, planning, budgeting, and the execution of the event.
12. Housekeeping in the Hospitality Industry
One of the vital parts of the hospitality industry is the housekeeping department. This lesson will explain the role of the housekeeping department, basic functions, standards and expectations, and supervisory responsibilities in housekeeping.
13. Recreation & Leisure: Activities & Programs
Recreation and leisure activities are growing in popularity and participation. These events provide an opportunity to stretch the body and mind, meet other people, and participate in new hobbies or interests.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Family & Consumer Sciences (CEOE) (009): Study Guide & Practice course
- Preparing for Parenthood
- Prenatal Care, Fetal Development & Childbirth
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- Characteristics of Human Relationships
- Relationship Conflict & Communication
- Overview of Family Changes & Transitions
- Understanding Parenting Styles
- The Development of Adults
- Providing Nutritional Care
- Food Selection, Safety & Storage
- Fundamentals of Nutrition & Wellness
- Nutritional Deficiencies, Eating Disorders & Addictions
- Developing Meal Planning & Service Skills
- Food Preparation Methods
- Understanding Consumerism
- Money & Resource Management
- Clothing Selection as a Consumer
- Clothing, Textiles & Technology
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Home Design Features
- Family & Consumer Sciences Careers & Education
- Basic Career Skills
- Professional Knowledge of Family & Consumer Science Field
- OSAT Family & Consumer Sciences (CEOE) (009) Flashcards