About This Chapter
Hotel & Lodging Industry Overview - Chapter Summary
Check out this series of short and informative lessons to learn about the core components of the hotel and lodging industry. As you work through the lessons, you'll explore the different areas of the industry, as well as its evolution, challenges and the various career paths found within. Each lesson comes with a short self-assessment quiz to help you assess what you've learned. We've made the chapter accessible on any Internet-connected device so you can study wherever you happen to be, whether you're at home, at school, at the office or on-the-go.
This chapter can enable you to:
- Identify the hospitality industry's goals, sectors and services
- Recognize various career paths that are available in the hotel and lodging industry
- Understand the job climate in the hospitality industry in terms of skills, employee turnover and competition
- Outline the hospitality industry's current challenges and projected growth
1. Hospitality Industry: Definition & Overview
What is the hospitality industry? This lesson defines all aspects of the hospitality industry and explains different areas within the industry, its main focus, and factors that impact the industry.
2. Sectors & Services of the Hospitality Industry
Visiting a new location is often something we all look forward to. Whether it's a yearly event or something that is a rare treat, each time we jump on a plane, stay in a hotel, or eat at a restaurant we are participating in the hospitality industry.
3. Career Paths in the Hotel & Lodging Business
In this lesson, we'll discuss several different career paths that are available in the hotel and lodging industry. These paths include the front desk, maintenance, housekeeping, security, food and beverage, and management in the hotel industry.
4. Challenges of the Hospitality Industry
The hospitality industry is a fast-changing and multifaceted industry. This lesson will look at some hospitality industry challenges, such as changing customers and technologies. Read on to learn more.
5. Hospitality Industry: Growth & Future
Hotels, restaurants, and flights make up the bulk of the hospitality industry. In this lesson, we will learn how this industry has grown and what the predictions say about the future. Come along as we learn more about the hospitality industry.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hospitality 304: Hotel & Lodging Management & Operations course
- Global Hospitality Management
- Leadership in the Hotel Industry
- Hotel & Lodging Strategic Management
- Hotel Operations Management
- Rooms Division in Hotel Operations
- Hotel Finance & Accounting
- Revenue Management for Hotels
- Hotel Sales & Marketing Department
- HR Management for Hospitality
- Hotel Safety & Security
- Hotel & Lodging Customer Service
- Food & Beverage Operations in Hotel & Lodging
- Restaurant Organization Basics
- Factors that Affect the Hotel & Lodging Industry
- Required Assignments for Hospitality 304
- Studying for Hospitality 304