About This Chapter
Hotel Safety & Security - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our expert instructors offer a fun and engaging overview of hotel safety and security concepts. Bite-sized lessons take a close look at ways to identify and resolve typical safety and security issues in a hotel like crime, terrorism and emergencies. Check your knowledge of these concepts by taking short quizzes and a practice exam, and submit any questions you have to our experts. Enjoy 24/7 access using any smartphone, tablet or computer with an Internet connection. Upon completion of this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Discuss how terrorism impacts the travel and tourism industry
- Describe crime risk and prevention in the hotel and lodging industry
- Explain the basics of designing hotel emergency and safety procedures
- Define and discuss risk management in the hospitality industry
- Provide details about cybersecurity vulnerability and how to avoid cybersecurity issues
1. Impact of Terrorism on the Travel & Tourism Industry
The travel and tourism industry can be affected in the wake of terrorist events both domestically and abroad. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the industry and how it is impacted following acts of terrorism.
2. Crime in the Hotel & Lodging Industry: Risk & Prevention
In this lesson, we will discuss the types of crimes that may occur in the hotel and lodging industry, as well as methods that can be undertaken to prevent those crimes from happening.
3. Designing Hotel Emergency & Safety Procedures
An emergency can happen anywhere. But when an emergency happens and a guest is far from home, most hotels have emergency action plans and emergency response teams in place. This lesson covers how hotels plan for emergencies, like fire, inclement weather, and other disasters.
4. Risk Management in the Hospitality Industry
Hospitality providers face a unique set of risks to their daily operations. In this lesson, you'll learn more about specific risks and steps for implementing a risk management plan to mitigate them.
5. Cybersecurity in the Hospitality Industry
Cyber crime is a real concern for most businesses. Secure hotel account information like credit card information and a guest's personal information can be very tempting to a thief. In this lesson, we'll discover ways to prevent a cyber attack by making a cybersecurity plan.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hospitality 304: Hotel & Lodging Management & Operations course
- Hotel & Lodging Industry Overview
- Global Hospitality Management
- Leadership in the Hotel Industry
- Hotel & Lodging Strategic Management
- Hotel Operations Management
- Rooms Division in Hotel Operations
- Hotel Finance & Accounting
- Revenue Management for Hotels
- Hotel Sales & Marketing Department
- HR Management for Hospitality
- Hotel & Lodging Customer Service
- Food & Beverage Operations in Hotel & Lodging
- Restaurant Organization Basics
- Factors that Affect the Hotel & Lodging Industry
- Required Assignments for Hospitality 304
- Studying for Hospitality 304