About This Chapter
Hotel Sales & Marketing Department - Chapter Summary
Studying the basics of the hotel sales and marketing department is simple using our entertaining lessons. Created by expert instructors, these lessons ensure you have a comprehensive understanding of department aspects like service marketing, service as a product and sales strategy. Take the short quizzes accompanying the lessons to gauge your comprehension of these concepts. Any questions you develop can be submitted to our experts via the Dashboard. This chapter's resources are accessible around-the-clock using any computer or mobile device. The chapter will enable you to do the following:
- Explain the importance of and strategies for hospitality industry marketing
- List and describe products and characteristics of the hospitality industry
- Compare and contrast services and goods
- Discuss strategies and best practices for marketing hospitality services
- Grasp the formula for and calculate a hotel's market share
- Define and discuss the elements for sales strategy
- Describe databases and Internet features that enhance marketing opportunities in hospitality
1. Hospitality Industry Marketing: Importance & Strategies
The hospitality industry is highly competitive and requires a strategy to earn and retain a customer's business. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the importance of hospitality marketing and strategies for success.
2. Hospitality Industry: Products & Characteristics
It's one of the biggest industries around, something that we've all participated in, whether in a job or as a customer. We're talking about the hospitality industry, and in this lesson we'll explore its many forms.
3. Services Marketing: The Difference Between Services and Goods
In this lesson, you'll learn the difference between a service and a good. Discover how services are marketed to a consumer using different techniques.
4. Service as a Product: Strategies & Best Practices
Understanding what service as a product is and how it can affect operations at a hotel is beneficial. This lesson offers an explanation of service as a product and gives five best practices and strategies for marketing hospitality services.
5. How to Calculate Hotel Market Share
Market share tells a manager how much of the overall business his or her hotel has received compared to its competition. The market share percentage provides insight into the hotel's performance. This lesson explains how to calculate market share.
6. Sales Strategy: Definition, Elements & Implementation
Understanding sales strategy and implementing effective plans can help a company sell more of its product and target the appropriate customer. This lesson explains the logic in establishing a sales strategy.
7. Technology & Hospitality Marketing: Databases & the Internet
New technologies and Internet features have created additional marketing opportunities for the hospitality and tourism industry. In this lesson, you'll learn more about new tools that take advantage of these technologies.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hospitality 304: Hotel & Lodging Management & Operations course
- Hotel & Lodging Industry Overview
- Global Hospitality Management
- Leadership in the Hotel Industry
- Hotel & Lodging Strategic Management
- Hotel Operations Management
- Rooms Division in Hotel Operations
- Hotel Finance & Accounting
- Revenue Management for Hotels
- HR Management for Hospitality
- Hotel Safety & Security
- Hotel & Lodging Customer Service
- Food & Beverage Operations in Hotel & Lodging
- Restaurant Organization Basics
- Factors that Affect the Hotel & Lodging Industry
- Required Assignments for Hospitality 304
- Studying for Hospitality 304