About This Chapter
How Leadership Affects Organizational Change - Chapter Summary
Check out this self-guided business chapter to see how leadership can affect organizational change. Through a series of short and simple lessons, our instructors break down several leadership roles, characteristics and styles. Included in this chapter are short self-assessment quizzes and printable transcripts. Revisit the lessons whenever you need to refresh your knowledge of these topics, and don't hesitate to reach out to our instructors if you have any questions. When you're finished with the chapter, you'll be equipped to:
- Discuss the role of leaders in organizations
- Differentiate between leadership and management
- Recognize effective leadership qualities and characteristics
- Explain the differences between formal and informal leadership
- Discuss the role of change agents
- Use strategies to become an an effective leader
1. Leadership: Leaders & Their Role in Organizations
Leadership is the action of leading employees to achieve goals. It plays an important role in employee performance and productivity. Learn about how leaders influence employee behavior in this lesson.
2. Management vs. Leadership: The Difference Between a Manager & Leader
Are all managers leaders? Are all leaders managers? This lesson presents arguments that place a manager and a leader into two separate categories, each with their own defining characteristics.
3. Qualities of Effective Leadership
Effective leadership takes effort, commitment, and a passion for the success of others. In this lesson, the seven qualities to be an effective leader are discussed. By implementing these steps, you too can be an effective leader.
4. Formal Leadership: Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, you'll learn what formal leadership is, including its key concepts. You'll have an opportunity to take a short quiz after the lesson to reinforce your knowledge.
5. Informal Leadership: Definition & Explanation
Have you ever had a job where, even though you weren't a manager or supervisor, your co-workers looked to you to solve day-to-day problems as they came up? If so, then you're already familiar with informal leadership. This lesson defines informal leadership and gives an example.
6. Change Agent: Definition & Role
Change agents can be vital to struggling organizations, helping them get back on track by adapting to a changing environment. In this lesson, you well learn what a change agent is and the change agent's role. A short quiz will follow the lesson.
7. Becoming an Effective Leader: Characteristics & Strategies
After completing this lesson, you'll know what it takes to be an effective leader versus an effective manager. You'll also learn some strategies you can employ to become that effective leader.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 304: Leading Organizational Change course
- Leadership Theories & Organizational Change
- Types of Leadership in Business
- Power & Leadership in Business Organizations
- Choosing Organizational Structures
- Change Factors in Organizations
- Management Functions & Organizational Change
- Organizational Change Theories
- Strategies for Implementing Changes in Business
- Communicating Change in Business
- Organizational Change & Company Culture
- Corporate Vision, Mission & Change
- Issues in Leading Organizational Change
- Globalization & Organizational Change
- Required Assignments for Business 304
- Studying for Business 304