About This Chapter
How the Body Handles Nutrients - Chapter Summary
Watch the short video lessons in this chapter to ensure you understand how the body handles nutrients. Our instructors delve into this subject by closely examining the circulatory system, digestion and the absorption process, lymphatic vessels and more. Gauge your comprehension of topics covered in each lesson by taking short quizzes. Our practice exam can check your knowledge of the entire chapter. Around-the-clock accessibility lets you utilize these resources whenever your schedule permits. Once you've completed this chapter, you will be able to:
- Define and discuss the process of chemical digestion of carbohydrates
- Discuss carbohydrate, protein and lipid digestion and absorption
- Explain how the body digests fiber
- Detail the absorption of water and micronutrients into the bloodstream
- Describe the absorption of nutrients to the lymphatic system
- Share how nutrients are transported around the body
- Discuss how the human vascular system operates
- Explain the function of lymphatic vessels
1. Chemical Digestion of Carbohydrates: Definition & Process
Carbohydrates are an important energy source, but must be broken down to be absorbed out of the digestive tract. In this lesson, you will learn how disaccharides and polysaccharides are broken down to monosaccharides through a process called hydrolysis.
2. Carbohydrate Digestion and Absorption: Process & End Products
Carbohydrates that you eat are broken down to monosaccharides by enzymes in your digestive tract. In this lesson, you will learn about these digestive enzymes and how monosaccharides are absorbed out of the digestive tract.
3. Protein Digestion and Absorption Process
Protein is one of the primary nutrients your body uses to build cellular structures. In this lesson, you will learn how protein is broken down into amino acids within your digestive tract and how amino acids are absorbed out of the intestines and into the hepatic portal system.
4. Lipids Digestion and Absorption
Lipids, or fats, are digested and absorbed in the small intestine. In this lesson, you will learn how bile salts emulsify fat so pancreatic lipase can digest it. You will also learn how fats first enter lymphatic capillaries, called lacteals, before entering your blood circulation.
5. How Fiber is Digested by the Body
In this lesson, you will learn how and where fiber is digested in your body. You will also gain a clear understanding of the different types of fiber and their potential health benefits.
6. Absorption of Micronutrients and Water into the Bloodstream
In this lesson, you will gain a deeper understanding of how and where absorption of micronutrients and water take place in your body. You will also learn how and where it enters your bloodstream.
7. Absorption of Nutrients to the Lymphatic System
In the lesson, we will explore the lymphatic system and how it functions. You will learn about the parts of your body that make up your lymphatic system and what nutrients are absorbed there.
8. How are Nutrients Transported Around the Body?
There are specific steps involved in nutrient transportation to ensure that your body gets what it needs to function properly. This lesson explores how nutrients are transported throughout your body.
9. Circulatory System II: The Human Vascular System
In this lesson, learn all about the operation of the human vascular system. What are the different types of blood vessels? How does blood flow through the human body? How does the system adapt to your body changing?
10. Lymphatic Vessels: Definition & Function
In this lesson, you will learn what lymphatic vessels are and why they are important for fluid management, immune function, and fat absorption. You'll then take a short quiz to test your knowledge.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel Science of Nutrition: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Understanding Nutrition Basics
- Researching Nutrition
- Diet Planning Basics
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Impact of Lipids on Nutrition
- Protein's Role in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals in Nutrition
- Symptoms of Major Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity
- Symptoms of Trace Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity
- The Role of Vitamins in Nutrition
- Gastrointestinal Anatomy and Digestion
- Health & Regulation of the GI Tract
- Understanding Cell Anatomy & Metabolism
- Excretion: Urination & Sweat
- Managing the Body's Weight & Energy
- Eating Disorders: Risk to Nutrition
- Role of Physical Fitness in Nutrition
- UExcel Science of Nutrition Flashcards