About This Chapter
How to Mentor in the Workplace - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter's lessons to help your company's employees learn more about developing a successful mentor-mentee relationship. These lessons offer information on:
- Finding a career mentor
- Building a relationship with a mentor
- Challenges in mentor-mentee relationships
- Responsibilities in a mentor-mentee relationship
Employees can watch the videos as part of a group corporate training session, using the lesson quizzes to spark discussions. They can also study on their own, watching via computer or mobile device as their schedules permit. Exams at the end of each chapter let them, and you, assess their knowledge.
How It Helps
- Understand mentorships: These short lessons offer employees an overview of the duties and responsibilities of both the mentors and mentees.
- Offers options:Various ways mentorship can be used in the workplace, such as diversity training and leadership development, are examined in this chapter.
- Presents tips for success:Our lessons offer pointers for overcoming common problems in mentorship relationships as well as guidelines for keeping the mentorship programs on track, such as how to set goals and evaluate achievements.
When these lessons are finished, your employees should be able to:
- Understand ways to find a mentor and establish a relationship
- Describe ways to use mentoring in the workplace
- Explain rules for maintaining a successful mentoring relationship
- Discuss problems that may arise in the mentoring relationship and suggest solutions
- Define the roles and responsibilities of mentors and mentees
1. How to Find and Relate to a Career Mentor
A mentor can help a person advance in their career and give them advice when they are in difficult situations. Watch this lesson to learn how to find a mentor and how to nurture that relationship over time.
2. Managing an Effective Mentoring Relationship
Mentor relationships can be highly beneficial to a company and to the people involved in the relationships. It is a chance for both the mentor and mentee to grow and develop together if managed effectively. This lesson will discuss ways to manage an effective mentor relationship.
3. Common Challenges in Mentoring Relationships
Companies are finding that implementing mentor programs can have a positive impact; however, there are common challenges that arise in mentoring relationships. This lesson will take a look at those challenges.
4. Roles & Responsibilities of Mentors & Mentees
The mentor & mentee relationship is a 2-way street just like any relationship. In this lesson, we will learn the roles and responsibilities that both the mentor and mentee must follow for it to be a successful relationship.
5. Practical Application: Mentoring Relationships in the Workplace
Like most other relationships, mentoring relationships can be complicated. In this practical application, we'll look at some of the things that go into a successful relationship and apply those concepts to a scenario.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Mentoring in the Workplace course