About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering word problems will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about word problems. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the steps involved in solving word problems
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about word problems
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the How to Solve Word Problems chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the How to Solve Word Problems chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any word problems question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a word problems unit of a standard contemporary math course. Topics covered include:
- Learning and applying the steps involved in solving word problems
- Applying the steps to solve multistep word problems
- Organizing thoughts when solving word problems
- Using personal situations to restate word problems
1. Solving Word Problems: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve word problems by following this 3-step process. Learn how to visualize your problem so you fully understand it. Then learn how to write and solve your equations.
2. Solving Word Problems with Multiple Steps
Not all word problems are so straightforward that they only require you to do one operation and you're done. Some are more complicated, requiring several steps. Watch this video lesson to learn how to solve these kinds of problems.
3. Restating Word Problems Using Words or Images
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use sketches and notes to help you visualize a problem. Watch how easy it becomes to solve your problem once you have visualized it.
4. Personalizing a Word Problem to Increase Understanding
When it comes to word problems, being able to personalize a word problem with more familiar situations will help you a lot in your problem solving. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can restate the word problem in terms you understand.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Contemporary Math: Help and Review course
- Mathematical Reasoning & Problem-Solving: Help and Review
- Statistics Overview: Help and Review
- Probability Overview: Help and Review
- Understanding Discrete Probability Distributions: Help and Review
- The Normal Curve & Continuous Probability Distributions: Help and Review
- The Mathematics of Voting: Help and Review
- The Mathematics of Apportionment: Help and Review
- Graph Theory: Help and Review
- Operations with Basic Algebraic Expressions
- Conics in Algebra
- Algebraic Concepts of Groups & Sets
- Notation, Sequences & Series
- Matrices and Determinants in Algebra
- Fractions, Decimals & Mixed Numbers
- Approaches to Math Word Problems
- Performing Basic Arithmetic
- Operations with Monomials and Polynomials
- Number Line & the Coordinate Graph