About This Chapter
How to Use Positive Influence at Work - Chapter Summary
This chapter offers fun lessons you can use to help shift the employee interactions in your company. Show your employees videos on positive influences in the workplace. They're designed to teach:
- The characteristics of positive work environments
- Tips for being a positive influence in the workplace
- What managers can do to positively influence employees
- Strategies for overcoming negative influences at work
- Ethics of workplace influence
This chapter's lessons average about 5 minutes in length. They can serve as a brief, yet highly effective corporate training tool for busy employees. Show the videos in training sessions, or allow employees to watch them individually, then have them take self-assessment quizzes to determine their comprehension of the lessons.
How It Helps
- Strengthens coworker relationships: Employees learn the value of positive work relationships, as well as strategies for becoming positive influences on one another, helping to strengthen their relationships.
- Improves work environment: As employees discover how to positively influence one another and learn to avoid negative influences that include gossiping and shifting blame, the overall work environment can improve.
- Creates responsible leaders: The lessons help managers and employees with the ability to influence others best utilize related strategies, encouraging them to become responsible leaders in the company.
Once employees have reviewed the lessons, they will be ready to:
- Identify the characteristics of a positive work environment, including open communication and community spirit
- List and describe the steps required to be a positive influence in the workplace
- Examine the plan of action a manager can create to positively influence employees
- Discuss negative influences and ways employees can overcome them on the job
- Describe the ethics associated with influence in the workplace
1. How to Be a Positive Influence in the Workplace
Being positive in the workplace is more than just trying to be optimistic when you're at work. In this lesson, you'll learn important steps to being a positive influence as well as the five specific styles of influence.
2. How Managers Can Positively Influence Employees
Managers have a significant influence on employees' experiences at work. In this lesson, learn specific strategies managers can employ to positively influence their direct reports.
3. The Ethics of Influence in the Workplace
Influencing others means using power over them to achieve your goals, which can be hard to do fairly. Learn how to ethically influence people in the workplace to ensure that both you and they can benefit from the relationship.
4. Practical Application: Overcoming Negative Influences at Work
Regardless of the employer, negativity in the workplace is a permanent reality. The consequences, however, of negativity do not have to be permanent, especially if the situation is skillfully handled.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the How to Positively Influence Others in the Workplace course