About This Chapter
PHRi Certification Exam: Employee Training & Development - Chapter Summary
Before you take the Professional in Human Resources - International (PHRi) certification exam, let us help you study employee training and development. Each of our lively lessons go over a different subtopic that might be included in questions on the exam. In the lessons you'll find such topics as:
- Orientation for new hires
- Effective training presentations
- Adult training and learning methods
- Job performance feedback
- The definition and characteristics of organizational culture
- Employee performance
- Common appraisal methods
Once you've finished the lessons, you can go through the practice quizzes to test your understanding of the topics. If you need help with a particular issue, use our ask-an-expert feature to get help. After completing this chapter, you should have a much better shot at doing well on the PHRi exam.
1. New Hire Orientation: Importance of Training Design & Content
A key HR function is ensuring that employees become integrated into the organization and their jobs as efficiently, effectively and quickly as possible. In this lesson, you'll learn about the orientation process, which seeks to achieve this.
2. Effective Training Presentations in the Workplace
This lesson will discuss the various tools that may be used to effectively conduct training presentations within an organization. Effective training presentations allow attendees to become active participants in a presentation through the thoughtful use of PowerPoint, videos and fun activities.
3. Training & Learning Methods for Adults
This lesson will overview four job training methods: learning management system (LMS), instructor led training (ILT), blended learning method, and mentoring. We will define each one and explore examples for how they are used in the 21st century.
4. Types of Employee Training Programs
There are several types of employee training programs. Employees may receive basic literacy training, interpersonal skills training, technical training, problem-solving training and diversity or sensitivity training. Each type of training targets a different facet of an organization's overall culture and performance.
5. Job Performance Feedback: Methods & Examples
This lesson includes an overview and explanation of some of the ways employers can provide specific employee feedback on job performance within an organization. Learn why timely feedback is important - to both the employer and employee.
6. What is Organizational Culture? - Definition & Characteristics
In this lesson, you will learn what organizational culture is and how it dictates behavior in organizations. You'll also explore the seven values that define the culture of an organization.
7. What Is Employee Performance?
The success of any business is closely tied to the job performance of its employees. Learn about the management of employee performance, including training, development and appraisals.
8. Employee Performance Appraisal: Methods, Process & Examples
Do you understand the purpose of an employee performance appraisal? Do you know the different methods used to prepare an appraisal and what process is typically used? Read on for answers to all of these questions!
9. Common Appraisal Methods 2: Narratives, Forced Choice & Forced Distribution
An important part of performance management is designing and implementing performance appraisals. In this lesson, you'll learn about different methods used for performance appraisals, including narratives, the forced choice technique and forced distribution.
10. Coordinating & Evaluating Training Needs
All successful businesses provide training for employees. This lesson will focus on employee training and the importance of both its coordination and methods for evaluating results.
11. Documenting Employee Training & Performance
Gathering performance data allows companies to make informed decisions about the trainings that should be offered to their employees. By analyzing employee attendance and performance, businesses can make any changes necessary to ensure that employees are receiving the tools they need to succeed.
12. Creating Individual Development Plans for Employees
This lesson explains the need for individual development plans, or IDPs, in business. Learn more about IDPs for employees and why an individual development plan is helpful for both the employee and the organization.
13. Safety & Emergency Preparedness Training Requirements at Work
This article focuses on best practices surrounding the development and implementation of effective safety and emergency preparedness training in the workforce. Read on to learn more.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Professional in Human Resources - International (PHRi): Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- PHRi Certification: Role of the HR Department
- PHRi Certification: HR Administration
- PHRi Certification: Time Management
- PHRi Certification: Understanding Change Management
- PHRi Certification: Policies & Procedures
- PHRi Certification: Recruitment & Selection
- PHRi Certification: Employee Relations & Communication
- PHRi Certification: Employee Compensation & Benefits
- PHRi Certification: Workplace Health, Safety & Security
- Professional in Human Resources - International (PHRi) Flashcards