About This Chapter
PHRi Certification Exam: HR Administration - Chapter Summary
If you want to do well on the Professional in Human Resources - International (PHRi) Certification Exam, make sure that you fully understand topics related to HR administration by going over the lessons found in this chapter. Each one focuses on a different point that you might be tested on when you take the exam. Some of these topics are:
- The definition and examples of organizational charts and hierarchies
- How to analyze HR issues
- Information systems and human resources
- Job specifications
- Employee HR forms
- Relevant database and spreadsheet software
- External HR service providers
- HR and organizational branding
- Communication skills for HR specialists
In the chapter, you'll also find practice quizzes that will be useful in testing your understanding of the information found in the lessons. Both the lessons and quizzes will familiarize you with the content and format of the PHRi Exam itself.
1. Organizational Chart and Hierarchy: Definition & Examples
Most organizations take advantage of a hierarchy. In this lesson, you'll learn about the features and structures of hierarchies. You'll also learn about organizational charts and how they can be used in understanding hierarchies.
2. Analyzing HR Issues: Metrics & Reporting
This lesson introduces common HR metrics that are useful for top management in developing strategy and analyzing HR issues, and it highlights what HR metrics can tell you about a company. Learn more about HR metrics and reporting now.
3. Human Resource Information Systems: Costs & Benefits to Employees, HR and Organizations
While we may be heading to a 'paperless' office, the amount of information handled by HR professionals seems to keep growing. In this lesson, you'll learn about human resource information systems and how they can help with information management.
4. The Importance of Job Specifications, Job Descriptions, and Position Descriptions
Job design is one of the key responsibilities of human resource management professionals. In this lesson, you'll learn about job specifications, job descriptions, and position descriptions, and why they are important to human resource management.
5. Employee HR Forms: Maintenance & Processing
There are numerous documents that a human resources department must maintain for each staff member. This lesson provides an overview of different ways HR can maintain employee records.
6. Database and Spreadsheet Software: Excel, Access, dBase & Lotus 1-2-3
Spreadsheet software and database software are both used to organize and manipulate data. Each application has its own unique strengths. Learn about the functionality of both types of software.
7. Working with External HR Service Providers
Working with external Human Resources (HR) service providers is often necessary to complete certain tasks. This lesson discusses the ways that HR departments work with providers, such as third party recruiters, training providers, and benefits providers.
8. The Role of HR in Organizational Branding
This lesson focuses on the role that human resources can play in organization branding. It will walk you through the organizational branding process and demonstrate the relationship between employer brand and the overall company brand.
9. Communication Skills for Human Resources Professionals
This lesson explains what skills are required from Human Resources (HR) staff so that they may carry out their tasks effectively in relation to managing employees and HR administration. The main areas -- recruitment, compensation, performance evaluation, and training -- are discussed in terms of the skills required for tasks in each of these areas.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Professional in Human Resources - International (PHRi): Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- PHRi Certification: Role of the HR Department
- PHRi Certification: Time Management
- PHRi Certification: Understanding Change Management
- PHRi Certification: Policies & Procedures
- PHRi Certification: Recruitment & Selection
- PHRi Certification: Employee Relations & Communication
- PHRi Certification: Employee Compensation & Benefits
- PHRi Certification: Employee Training & Development
- PHRi Certification: Workplace Health, Safety & Security
- Professional in Human Resources - International (PHRi) Flashcards