About This Chapter
PHRi Certification: Role of the HR Department - Chapter Summary
If you need a review of the roles that the HR department plays in a business, the video lessons in this chapter will thoroughly cover these topics. This chapter will help you get ready to take your PHRi Certification exam. After completing the chapter, you should understand:
- Human resource management
- Human capital
- Structure of the HR department
- External influences on the HR department
- Relationship between HR management and organizational strategy
- Trends in the workplace
We present these lessons to you in both video and text format. The video lessons are short and engaging, lasting five to ten minutes each. The lesson transcripts cover everything in the video, and include bold terms and phrases to stress importance of certain areas of the lesson. Having the choice between watching videos and reading transcripts will allow you to cater to your specific learning style. You will be able to retain a great deal of information, which will help you succeed on your PHRi certification exam.
1. Human Resource Management: Definition, Objectives & Responsibilities
Human resource management is an essential function of both private and public sector organizations. In this lesson, you'll learn what human resource management is, as well as its objectives and responsibilities in an organization.
2. What Is Human Capital? - Importance to An Organization
All organizations require human capital to function and accomplish their goals. In this lesson, you'll learn what human capital is, its importance and the role that human resource management plays in it. A short quiz follows.
3. The Internal Structure of an HR Department
Human resource management serves a vitally important function in most organizations. In this lesson, you'll learn how an organization may structure its human resource management functions within the organization.
4. External Factors Impacting HRM
Businesses don't operate in a bubble and neither does human resource management. In this lesson, you'll learn about some important external factors that impact human resource management. A short quiz follows the lesson.
5. Aligning HRM and Organizational Strategy
Successful businesses have a strategic vision and know how to implement it. In this lesson, you'll learn how human resource management (HRM) can align its organizational functions with the overall strategy of its organization.
6. Importance of HR Knowing Trends in the Workplace
In this lesson, we'll earn why HR needs to stay informed and aware of trends that impact talent and workers in the marketplace as it relates to hiring/recruiting, training resources, and improving benefits/compensation for employees.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Professional in Human Resources - International (PHRi): Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- PHRi Certification: HR Administration
- PHRi Certification: Time Management
- PHRi Certification: Understanding Change Management
- PHRi Certification: Policies & Procedures
- PHRi Certification: Recruitment & Selection
- PHRi Certification: Employee Relations & Communication
- PHRi Certification: Employee Compensation & Benefits
- PHRi Certification: Employee Training & Development
- PHRi Certification: Workplace Health, Safety & Security
- Professional in Human Resources - International (PHRi) Flashcards