About This Chapter
PHRi Certification Exam: Understanding Change Management - Chapter Summary
The lessons that you will find within this chapter will serve as invaluable study guides on the subject of change management in human resources. These lessons will prove especially helpful if you are going to take the Professional in Human Resources - International (PHRi) Certification Exam, since change management is a topic that will be featured in several exam questions. The lessons will go over some key points related to:
- Organizational change and company culture
- The theory and definition of structural change in management
- Strategic change management
- Kotter's 8-step model of change
- Challenges to management caused by change
- Resistance to change
Once you've gone through our study guide, you can approach the PHRi Certification Exam with much more confidence. As a result, you could have a better chance of doing well come exam day!
1. Organizational Culture and Change
Organizational change involving altering processes and systems within a company often affects the existing group norms, beliefs and values. This makes change a challenge for managers. There are tactics managers can use to institute change in a positive and welcoming way.
2. Structural Change in Management: Theory & Definition
Every business experiences change. How it is managed determines whether or not it will be a successful change. This lesson covers how to manage structural changes within an organization. It is followed up with a quiz.
3. What Is Strategic Change Management? - Definition, Models & Examples
In this lesson, we'll be looking at strategic change management, which is a process of managing a change within an organization or company. We'll also look at the various models of strategic change management. Afterwards, you can test your knowledge with a quiz.
4. Kotter's 8-Step Change Model of Management
This lesson details the steps involved in Kotter's eight-step change model including: create urgency, form a powerful coalition, create change vision, communicate the vision, remove obstacles, create short-term wins, build on the change, and anchor the change in organizational culture.
5. Managerial Challenges Caused by Organizational Change
External factors and internal environmental factors are responsible for many overall organizational changes. With change, managers must plan for challenges they may face when trying to implement new ways of doing things.
6. Kotter & Schlesinger: Resistance to Change
Change happens. If you've ever been part of an organizational change, you know that most people aren't big fans of change. In this lesson, we'll learn one perspective of why that is and how managers can deal with resistance to change.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Professional in Human Resources - International (PHRi): Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- PHRi Certification: Role of the HR Department
- PHRi Certification: HR Administration
- PHRi Certification: Time Management
- PHRi Certification: Policies & Procedures
- PHRi Certification: Recruitment & Selection
- PHRi Certification: Employee Relations & Communication
- PHRi Certification: Employee Compensation & Benefits
- PHRi Certification: Employee Training & Development
- PHRi Certification: Workplace Health, Safety & Security
- Professional in Human Resources - International (PHRi) Flashcards