About This Chapter
PHRi Certification: Workplace Health, Safety & Security - Chapter Summary
Creating and maintaining a healthy, safe and secure work environment for employees is a crucial responsibility typically delegated to human resources professionals. Review the laws, standards and programs involved in cultivating a thriving and productive workplace in this PHRi Certification study guide chapter so that you can do well on the PHRi Certification exam. Instructors guide you through topics that include:
- Strategies that promote work-life balance among employees, such as stress management techniques and offering health and wellness programs
- Laws governing workplace safety standards and how to establish employee safety programs to minimize workplace risk
- Employee rights for privacy and safety at work
- The purpose and guidelines of worker's compensation
- Establishing procedures for crime and injury reporting within the organization
After thoroughly examining the information presented in these informative lessons, further prepare for the PHRi Certification exam by utilizing the brief lesson quizzes and more comprehensive chapter exam to highlight any areas you may need to review. Each quiz contains direct links to specific topics in the videos, so you can easily access the topics you want to review without rewatching the entire video. Full video transcripts and quiz worksheets are also available to use as hard-copy study material.
1. How Organizations Promote Work-Life Balance: Definition and Common Practices
The overall trend in organizations to keep employee turnover rates down is to offer significant programs that provide a work-life balance. A work-life balance is an organizational concept that empowers employees to split time and energy between work and other important areas of their life successfully.
2. Workplace Safety Laws & Regulations
This lesson provides a general overview of workplace safety laws and regulations that protect employees against physical and financial loss, including laws administered by the Department of Labor and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration
3. Employee Rights: Privacy & Safety
The modern workplace can be an intrusive and sometimes even a dangerous and violent place. In this lesson, you'll learn about employee privacy and safety. Topics will include employee surveillance, social media and workplace safety and violence.
4. Stress Management: Individual and Organizational Techniques & Methods
Companies need to help employees learn how to manage their stress at work. Preventative stress management is a corporate philosophy that is concerned with eliminating stress and improving employee health. There are numerous organizational and individual techniques that can be used to help improve employee stress.
5. Health & Wellness Programs in the Workplace
Health and wellness programs are becoming more popular in the workplace. This lesson will discuss the different types of health and wellness programs in the workplace and the benefits they provide.
6. Employee Safety & Workplace Risk Programs
All companies have safety and workplace risks, which can result in minor pain or major injuries. This lesson discusses different types of workplace hazards, the purpose of creating safety programs, and what's involved in creating safety programs.
7. What Is Workers' Compensation? - Laws and Purpose
Workers' compensation laws require insurance protection for people who are injured or become ill due to job requirements. These laws are designed to provide these disabled employees with fixed monetary awards and avoid litigation. This lesson explains workers' compensation.
8. Injury & Crime Reporting in the Workplace
Most people work in a safe workplace but getting hurt on the job or being the victim of a crime happens. When an issue arises, there are procedures an employee should follow to report such incidents.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Professional in Human Resources - International (PHRi): Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- PHRi Certification: Role of the HR Department
- PHRi Certification: HR Administration
- PHRi Certification: Time Management
- PHRi Certification: Understanding Change Management
- PHRi Certification: Policies & Procedures
- PHRi Certification: Recruitment & Selection
- PHRi Certification: Employee Relations & Communication
- PHRi Certification: Employee Compensation & Benefits
- PHRi Certification: Employee Training & Development
- Professional in Human Resources - International (PHRi) Flashcards