About This Chapter
HRM: Human Resources Management - Chapter Summary
How are human resources departments structured? How does the function of HR differ in small firms as compared to larger corporations? These are some of the topics you will find explored in this chapter. Video lessons take only minutes to review and thoroughly cover each topic with detailed examples and important definitions.
You will also learn how human resources are an important aspect of an organization's overall business strategy and vision. Once you have completed your study of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain the role of HR in the implementation of a company's vision
- Discuss the need for HR in small companies and know how they are used in these types of organizations
- Describe the structure of HR departments with respect to internal operations
- Name the external factors that have an impact on human resource management
- Relate the importance of ethical behavior in HR and determine what ethical issues are common regarding this department
You can quickly and easily learn about these topics through the expert instruction of those who have a background in HR management. Lessons are accessible from any device 24/7, making this a convenient self-paced study option. Brief self-assessment quizzes are handy resources you can use to test your knowledge of each topic and determine if you need any further review of this material.
1. Aligning HRM and Organizational Strategy
Successful businesses have a strategic vision and know how to implement it. In this lesson, you'll learn how human resource management (HRM) can align its organizational functions with the overall strategy of its organization.
2. Managing Human Resources in Small & Entrepreneurial Firms
Do small and medium enterprises need a human resources function? And if so, what form will it take? This lesson looks at the various ways in which human resources can be managed in SMEs.
3. The Internal Structure of an HR Department
Human resource management serves a vitally important function in most organizations. In this lesson, you'll learn how an organization may structure its human resource management functions within the organization.
4. External Factors Impacting HRM
Businesses don't operate in a bubble and neither does human resource management. In this lesson, you'll learn about some important external factors that impact human resource management. A short quiz follows the lesson.
5. Ethical Issues in HR: Definition & Importance
Unethical behavior from a business can create problems with regulators and have adverse effects on a company's bottom line. In this lesson, you'll learn about ethical issues relevant to HR and the importance of ethical organizational behavior.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HSC Business Studies: Exam Prep & Syllabus course
- Nature of Business
- Types of Business
- Business Industries in Australia
- Influences on Businesses in Australia
- Stakeholders in Business
- Business Cycle
- Global Markets in Business
- Management Skills
- Management Approaches
- Management Processes
- Business Planning & Strategy
- Business Forecasting
- Business Strategies & Values
- Operations Management & Inventory Management
- Scheduling in Operations Management Overview
- Supply Chain Management in Business
- Marketing Roles & Objectives
- Types of Markets
- Influences of Marketing in Australia
- Marketing Information & Research
- Marketing Strategy in Business
- Pricing Strategy in Business
- Promotion in Marketing
- Place & Distribution in Business
- International Marketing Basics
- Business Financing in Australia
- Financial Planning & Implementation
- Financial Monitoring & Control
- Financial Ratios
- Financial Management Overview
- Global Financial Management
- Employee Acquisition & Development
- Human Resource Metrics & Measurement
- Employee Separation
- Legal Considerations in Australian HR
- HSC Business Studies Flashcards