About This Chapter
SPHRi Certification: Employee Development & Talent Management - Chapter Summary
This chapter is relevant to the People Development and Talent Management functional area of the SPHRi certification exam. In these lessons, the instructors discuss the legal and regulatory issues that relate to the practice of HR management. Also covered are career management, performance management and appraisal systems, and the role of HR in employee retention and productivity. Other topics discussed in the chapter include:
- Definition of employee performance
- Managerial promotion of productivity
- HR and succession planning
- Types of work teams
- Employee recognition programs
- HR promotion of continuous learning
- Importance of workplace trends
- Innovation and change management
These engaging video lessons come with transcripts that contain highlighted keywords that will deepen your contextual knowledge of the subject matter. Also included are self-assessment quizzes that link back to the exact spot in a lesson that contains the information you need to fix a missed answer. Our instructors are also available for you to ask your questions via the system interface.
1. HR Policies: Legal & Industry Regulations
Many different things influence HR policies in organizations. In this lesson, we'll take a look at some of the ways that legal and industry regulations can affect policy.
2. What Is Career Management and Development? - Definition and Purpose
Companies can invest in both their managers and employees through career management and development systems. These programs offer counseling, planning and workshops to help employees manage their careers.
3. What Is Employee Performance?
The success of any business is closely tied to the job performance of its employees. Learn about the management of employee performance, including training, development and appraisals.
4. HR Performance Management Systems for Talent Development
This lesson focuses on some of the methods employers use to evaluate the performance of employees. It includes an overview of several types of performance evaluation systems.
5. Employee Performance Appraisal: Methods, Process & Examples
Do you understand the purpose of an employee performance appraisal? Do you know the different methods used to prepare an appraisal and what process is typically used? Read on for answers to all of these questions!
6. Common Appraisal Methods 2: Narratives, Forced Choice & Forced Distribution
An important part of performance management is designing and implementing performance appraisals. In this lesson, you'll learn about different methods used for performance appraisals, including narratives, the forced choice technique and forced distribution.
7. Creating Individual Development Plans for Employees
This lesson explains the need for individual development plans, or IDPs, in business. Learn more about IDPs for employees and why an individual development plan is helpful for both the employee and the organization.
8. Role of HR in Employee Retention & Productivity
This lesson reviews and explains how human resource managers and teams can implement methods to increase employee retention and how employee retention strategies can lead to increases in employee productivity.
9. Managerial Skills: How Good Managers Promote Productivity
This lesson will discuss the types of skills a manager needs, including technical, human, and conceptual skills. You'll learn how each of these skill sets impacts a manager's ability to effectively lead his or her employees.
10. Role of HR in Succession Planning
This lesson reviews how human resource managers can create succession plans within an organization. The lesson also explains how human resource managers promote the development of future leaders within an organization.
11. How HR Encourages Employee Knowledge & Continuous Learning
The purpose of this lesson is to explain how human resources must continuously provide development and learning opportunities in order to increase employee engagement and help the organization achieve its goals.
12. Types of Work Teams: Functional, Cross-Functional & Self-Directed
Teams have become a popular way of organizing employees in organizations. This lesson identifies three different types of work teams: functional, cross-functional and self-directed teams.
13. Benefits of Employee Recognition Programs
You want to encourage your employees to work harder, provide greater service, and be more satisfied in their work. This lesson will explain the benefits of a recognition program in achieving these goals.
14. Importance of HR Knowing Trends in the Workplace
In this lesson, we'll earn why HR needs to stay informed and aware of trends that impact talent and workers in the marketplace as it relates to hiring/recruiting, training resources, and improving benefits/compensation for employees.
15. Creativity, Innovation, and Change and the Knowledge Economy
In business, one has to be creative and innovative in order to stay ahead of the competition. Having said that, one also needs to be able to manage change, as the business world changes on a constant basis. This lesson will address each of these topics and explain how they interrelate to business.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Senior Professional in Human Resources - International (SPHRi): Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- SPHRi Certification: HR Leadership in Business
- SPHRi Certification: Understanding Change Management
- SPHRi Certification: Organizational Training Programs
- SPHRi Certification: The Global Workplace
- SPHRi Certification: HR Service Delivery
- SPHRi Certification: Recruitment & Staffing
- SPHRi Certification: Project Management
- SPHRi Certification: Employee Relations & Communication
- SPHRi Certification: HR Metrics
- Senior Professional in Human Resources - International (SPHRi) Flashcards