About This Chapter
SPHRi Certification: HR Leadership in Business - Chapter Summary
This chapter guides you through the role of HR in various circumstances, including the establishment of company-wide HR strategies and best practices and the part HR plays in organizational branding, to help you study for the SPHRi certification exam. You can also learn about the processes involved with HR budgeting and the management of human capital. By the time you're done, you will have also covered the following topics:
- Roles of human resources management
- Human capital definitions and risk management
- Structure of an HR department
- External factors in HR management
- Roles of human resource in organizational strategy, mergers and acquisitions
- Human resource's social and environmental responsibilities
- Managing human resource budges
Our brief video lessons are an entertaining way to review the information you need to know for the SPHRi certification exam. Each video comes with an interactive timeline that gives you the opportunity to only review the topics you need and save some time and the text lessons include highlighted key vocabulary words. Each lesson has a corresponding quiz that allows you to test your comprehension and see if any areas need extra review.
1. Human Resource Management: Definition, Objectives & Responsibilities
Human resource management is an essential function of both private and public sector organizations. In this lesson, you'll learn what human resource management is, as well as its objectives and responsibilities in an organization.
2. What Is Human Capital? - Importance to An Organization
All organizations require human capital to function and accomplish their goals. In this lesson, you'll learn what human capital is, its importance and the role that human resource management plays in it. A short quiz follows.
3. The Internal Structure of an HR Department
Human resource management serves a vitally important function in most organizations. In this lesson, you'll learn how an organization may structure its human resource management functions within the organization.
4. External Factors Impacting HRM
Businesses don't operate in a bubble and neither does human resource management. In this lesson, you'll learn about some important external factors that impact human resource management. A short quiz follows the lesson.
5. Aligning HRM and Organizational Strategy
Successful businesses have a strategic vision and know how to implement it. In this lesson, you'll learn how human resource management (HRM) can align its organizational functions with the overall strategy of its organization.
6. Role of HR in Mergers & Acquisitions
If more than half of mergers and acquisitions fail, then something has to be done to ensure success. This lesson looks at the crucial role of HR in mergers and acquisitions.
7. Role of HR in Social & Environmental Responsibility
This lesson will describe the role that human resources (HR) plays in helping an organization to achieve corporate social responsibility (CSR) and sustainability goals.
8. Establishing Organizational HR Strategy & Best Practices
This lesson concentrates on establishing a human resources strategy within an organization. It outlines the link between the human resources strategy and the company's strategy and provides best practices for developing a human resources strategy.
9. What Is Human Capital in Management? - Definition & Value
Human capital (or people) management is a process of directing, investing in, and developing an organization's workforce. An organization must take the time to manage human capital so that it aligns with their goals.
10. Human Capital Risk Management: Process & Analysis
This lesson reviews red flags in human capital risk management and a process for analyzing human capital risks in an organization. By looking at the employee life cycle, from assessing workforce needs through conducting exit interviews, risks can be assessed and managed.
11. The Role of HR in Organizational Branding
This lesson focuses on the role that human resources can play in organization branding. It will walk you through the organizational branding process and demonstrate the relationship between employer brand and the overall company brand.
12. Developing & Maintaining an HR Budget
The budgeting process for human resources is key to the strategy of the department. Identifying expenses and possible risk scenarios and economic conditions helps the HR department fit into the overall company's budget success.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Senior Professional in Human Resources - International (SPHRi): Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- SPHRi Certification: Understanding Change Management
- SPHRi Certification: Organizational Training Programs
- SPHRi Certification: Employee Development & Talent Management
- SPHRi Certification: The Global Workplace
- SPHRi Certification: HR Service Delivery
- SPHRi Certification: Recruitment & Staffing
- SPHRi Certification: Project Management
- SPHRi Certification: Employee Relations & Communication
- SPHRi Certification: HR Metrics
- Senior Professional in Human Resources - International (SPHRi) Flashcards