About This Chapter
SPHRi Certification: Understanding Change Management - Chapter Summary
This chapter will introduce you to the issues that surround any major change in an organization. You will study the management of structural changes in an organization along with strategic change management practices. The content in this chapter relates to Functional Area 02: People Development and Talent Management, which is 29% of the SPHRi Certification exam. Other chapter topics include:
- Kotter's 8-step change model
- Lewin's 3-stage change model
- Managerial challenges caused by change
Short video lessons usually last less than ten minutes. Each video has an interactive timeline that makes it easy to jump to a particular topic. Lesson transcripts feature highlighted key words and links to related articles that can expand your contextual grasp of the subject. Finally, ensure your retention of the information with our lesson quizzes and chapter exam.
1. Organizational Culture and Change
Organizational change involving altering processes and systems within a company often affects the existing group norms, beliefs and values. This makes change a challenge for managers. There are tactics managers can use to institute change in a positive and welcoming way.
2. Structural Change in Management: Theory & Definition
Every business experiences change. How it is managed determines whether or not it will be a successful change. This lesson covers how to manage structural changes within an organization. It is followed up with a quiz.
3. What Is Strategic Change Management? - Definition, Models & Examples
In this lesson, we'll be looking at strategic change management, which is a process of managing a change within an organization or company. We'll also look at the various models of strategic change management. Afterwards, you can test your knowledge with a quiz.
4. Kotter's 8-Step Change Model of Management
This lesson details the steps involved in Kotter's eight-step change model including: create urgency, form a powerful coalition, create change vision, communicate the vision, remove obstacles, create short-term wins, build on the change, and anchor the change in organizational culture.
5. Lewin's 3-Stage Model of Change: Unfreezing, Changing & Refreezing
Organizational change does not have to be a complex process. In fact, Kurt Lewin did it in just three steps. This lesson discusses the three stages of organizational change according to Lewin, including unfreezing, changing and refreezing.
6. Managerial Challenges Caused by Organizational Change
External factors and internal environmental factors are responsible for many overall organizational changes. With change, managers must plan for challenges they may face when trying to implement new ways of doing things.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Senior Professional in Human Resources - International (SPHRi): Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- SPHRi Certification: HR Leadership in Business
- SPHRi Certification: Organizational Training Programs
- SPHRi Certification: Employee Development & Talent Management
- SPHRi Certification: The Global Workplace
- SPHRi Certification: HR Service Delivery
- SPHRi Certification: Recruitment & Staffing
- SPHRi Certification: Project Management
- SPHRi Certification: Employee Relations & Communication
- SPHRi Certification: HR Metrics
- Senior Professional in Human Resources - International (SPHRi) Flashcards