About This Chapter
HSPT Test: Basics of Grammar - Chapter Summary
This chapter covers the rules of grammar. The lessons review verb tense, subject-verb agreement, errors of singular and plural pronouns, and using uncommon singular and plural nouns and pronouns. You'll also look at personal pronouns and antecedents, plus number agreement. After going through the chapter, you should be able to:
- Identify inappropriate shifts in verb voice and mood
- Find misplaced modifiers and dangling modifiers
- Define the eight parts of speech
- Give the definitions of nouns, adverbs and adjectives
- Outline the functions of action, auxiliary and linking verbs
- Discuss participles and infinitives
This chapter's educational information can be accessed online via a computer or mobile device. Since the lessons are so flexible and generally no longer than eight minutes long, they can be studied right alongside homework assignments. Support can be received by utilizing the ask-an-expert feature on the dashboard. Brief quizzes help to determine your level of preparation for the HSPT test's grammar questions.
1. What Are the 8 Parts of Speech? - Definition & Examples
If you can't tell the difference between a noun and a hole in the ground, that's because there isn't one! Come learn more about these and the seven other parts of speech and their functions in this lesson.
2. What Are Nouns? - Definition, Types & Examples
A noun is a part of speech that identifies a person, place, thing, or idea. In this lesson, in addition to learning how to identify nouns, you'll learn the difference between proper and common nouns and a bit about how nouns function in sentences.
3. What are Adjectives? - Definition & Examples
Adjectives are what give detail and engage the senses in our writing. This lesson defines and illustrates adjectives and descriptive detail in writing and speaking. Nouns and verbs are briefly reviewed.
4. What are Adverbs? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what adverbs are and how they can be used to make your writing more interesting. You'll also take a look at some examples of adverbs and how they work in sentences.
5. Action, Linking and Auxiliary Verbs: Definitions, Functions & Examples
Do you think that a verb is just a verb? Check out this lesson to learn about the differences among action verbs, linking verbs, and auxiliary/helping verbs.
6. Verb Forms: Participles & Infinitives
Using verbs correctly involves knowing more than just how to express action in a sentence. This lesson will show you a few special types of verb forms - infinitives, present participles, and past participles - as well as how to use them.
7. Grammatical Error: Examples & Corrections
Some people consider grammar to be a dry or unimportant topic, but don't believe the hype! Grammar is important, and it can be fun with the right approach. Grammar rules help you communicate clearly and efficiently, and they'll help you put your best foot forward when it comes to your written work.
8. Personal Pronouns and Antecedents: Number Agreement
In this lesson, you'll learn how to avoid one of the most common grammatical mistakes in writing by learning how to ensure that all of the antecedents in your writing agree in number with the pronouns that they're matched up with.
9. Identifying Errors of Singular and Plural Pronouns
It's sometimes not completely clear at first whether a singular or plural pronoun is necessary in a sentence. This lesson covers those confusing situations and explains how to be sure that you're using the right pronoun.
10. Verb Tense & Subject-Verb Agreement
Learn all about verb tense and subject-verb agreement in our first lesson on this tricky topic. We'll look at examples to help you understand this concept.
11. Subject-Verb Agreement: Using Uncommon Singular and Plural Nouns and Pronouns
Subject-verb agreement is a tricky beast. Learn which uncommon singular and plural nouns and pronouns are most likely to trip you up when trying to craft essays with good grammar.
12. Inappropriate Shifts in Verb Voice and Mood
If a person's attitude or tone of voice is constantly changing, he or she can be hard to read or understand. This can be applied to how we write. To communicate clearly, we need to recognize and correct inappropriate shifts in verb voice and mood.
13. What Are Misplaced Modifiers and Dangling Modifiers?
I have this recurring nightmare where all my modifiers are misplaced or dangling and everybody's laughing at me. Don't let this happen to you! Learn why modifiers are important and why putting them in the right place is even more so.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HSPT Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- HSPT Test: Quantitative Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Mathematical Sequences & Series
- HSPT Test: Understanding Real Numbers
- HSPT Test: Operations in Math
- HSPT Test: Understanding Integers
- HSPT Test: Irrational & Rational Numbers
- HSPT Test: Solving & Graphing Inequalities
- HSPT Test: Using Estimation in Mathematics
- HSPT Test: Using Decimals
- HSPT Test: Understanding Fractions
- HSPT Test: Using Percents
- HSPT Test: Ratios & Proportion
- HSPT Test: Square Roots
- HSPT Test: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- HSPT Test: Scientific Notation
- HSPT Test: Standard Measurement
- HSPT Test: Introduction to Geometry
- HSPT Test: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- HSPT Test: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- HSPT Test: Properties of Lines
- HSPT Test: Plotting Graphs
- HSPT Test: Transformations
- HSPT Test: Triangle Basics
- HSPT Test: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- HSPT Test: The Pythagorean Theorem
- HSPT Test: Graphing Data
- HSPT Test: Data Analysis
- HSPT Test: Probability & Permutations
- HSPT Test: Properties of Functions
- HSPT Test: Graphing Functions
- HSPT Test: Factoring in Algebra
- HSPT Test: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- HSPT Test: Algebraic Distribution
- HSPT Test: Solving Rational Expressions
- HSPT Test: Linear Equations
- HSPT Test: Systems of Linear Equations
- HSPT Test: Mathematical Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Verbal Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Spelling & Punctuation
- HSPT Test: Syntax & Sentence Structure
- HSPT Test: Interpreting Readings
- HSPT Test: Reading Comprehension
- HSPT Test: Understanding Meaning in Reading
- HSPT Test Flashcards