About This Chapter
HSPT Test: Interpreting Readings - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter have been created to facilitate your review on interpreting literary works and the components within a passage. The video format of these lessons makes learning entertaining and efficient. The following topics are addressed in this chapter:
- Interpreting connections between ideas, events and individuals
- Cause and effect in passages
- Elements of a passage
- Interpreting word choice and generalization
- Using context
- Sentence structure and its effect on meaning
- Identifying a writer's tone and point-of-view
- Restating ideas
- The author's purpose in passages
- Inference and drawing conclusion
Instructors have made this chapter to help you identify ways to interpret literature in preparation for the HSPT test. The videos, text lessons, and self-assessment quizzes can help ensure you are learning the right details for the exam.
HSPT Test: Interpreting Readings Chapter Objectives
The topics within this interactive chapter are part of the reading portion of the exam, which has 62 multiple-choice questions. Using the lessons, you can examine what the questions could look like on the actual exam. In order to ensure you are learning effectively, you can use the self-assessment quizzes.
1. How to Determine the Cause and Effect of an Event in a Passage
Recognize and understand how cause and effect relates to literature. Learn how to determine and find cause and effect in a reading passage, along with a strategy to assist you.
2. How to Compare and Contrast Elements of a Passage
In this lesson, you'll learn how to compare and contrast when analyzing pieces of literature. You will also learn different strategies to assist in identifying key similarities and differences when applying compare and contrast.
3. How to Interpret Generalizations of a Passage
Do you know what a generalization is? Do you know how to spot a misleading generalization when you see one, or make generalizations about different aspects of a passage? Watch this video lesson to gain or improve skills.
4. How to Interpret the Word Choice of a Writer
Authors never pick the words in their works by accident. In this lesson, we'll explore the ways that authors use words and see how this impacts our understanding of their work.
5. How to Use Context to Determine the Meaning of Words
With diligence and intrepid ingenuity, you can use context to ascertain the purport of a word. In other words, in this lesson, we'll find out how to use context to figure out what words mean.
6. How to Determine the Writer's Tone and Point-of-View
Writers give us many clues to help us understand why they write. In this lesson, we're going to check out the concepts of tone and point of view to see how they can be used to better understand a passage.
7. What is Writing Style? - Types & Examples
What is writing style? Many people struggle to answer this question, because the answer can be vague. By evaluating several main types of writing and examples of each, we will try to answer this elusive question.
8. What is Structure in Writing and How Does it Affect Meaning?
In this lesson, we will define the role of structure in literature. From there, we will look at the different ways to structure fiction and how it affects the meaning.
9. How to Determine the Text Structure of a Passage Using Transitions
Text structures are identifiable patterns in the organization of text in a written work. This lesson will discuss the use of transitions to determine text structure. We will end with a very short quiz to see what you have learned.
10. How to Restate an Idea and Summarize
Understanding how to restate an idea and summarize the information you have read is an important reading skill. In this lesson, you'll learn how to rephrase the main points of an essay, argument, or reading passage into a clear summary.
11. How to Explain the Main Point through Supporting Details
In this lesson, you'll learn how to identify the supporting details that explain the main idea being presented in a piece of literature. You will also learn different strategies that can be applied to future questions about the main idea.
12. Author's Purpose: Definition & Examples
This lesson explains the purpose behind various types of writing. In addition, author's purpose is defined using examples to illustrate the explanations.
13. What is Inference? - How to Infer Intended Meaning
In this lesson, we will define the terms inference and intended meaning. We will then discuss what steps to take when making inferences in literature.
14. How to Draw Conclusions from a Passage
You might be able to understand everything the author says in a passage, but can you figure out what the author ISN'T saying? Try your hand at drawing conclusions - but not jumping to conclusions - in this video lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HSPT Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- HSPT Test: Quantitative Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Mathematical Sequences & Series
- HSPT Test: Understanding Real Numbers
- HSPT Test: Operations in Math
- HSPT Test: Understanding Integers
- HSPT Test: Irrational & Rational Numbers
- HSPT Test: Solving & Graphing Inequalities
- HSPT Test: Using Estimation in Mathematics
- HSPT Test: Using Decimals
- HSPT Test: Understanding Fractions
- HSPT Test: Using Percents
- HSPT Test: Ratios & Proportion
- HSPT Test: Square Roots
- HSPT Test: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- HSPT Test: Scientific Notation
- HSPT Test: Standard Measurement
- HSPT Test: Introduction to Geometry
- HSPT Test: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- HSPT Test: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- HSPT Test: Properties of Lines
- HSPT Test: Plotting Graphs
- HSPT Test: Transformations
- HSPT Test: Triangle Basics
- HSPT Test: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- HSPT Test: The Pythagorean Theorem
- HSPT Test: Graphing Data
- HSPT Test: Data Analysis
- HSPT Test: Probability & Permutations
- HSPT Test: Properties of Functions
- HSPT Test: Graphing Functions
- HSPT Test: Factoring in Algebra
- HSPT Test: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- HSPT Test: Algebraic Distribution
- HSPT Test: Solving Rational Expressions
- HSPT Test: Linear Equations
- HSPT Test: Systems of Linear Equations
- HSPT Test: Mathematical Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Verbal Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Basics of Grammar
- HSPT Test: Spelling & Punctuation
- HSPT Test: Syntax & Sentence Structure
- HSPT Test: Reading Comprehension
- HSPT Test: Understanding Meaning in Reading
- HSPT Test Flashcards