About This Chapter
HSPT Test: Irrational & Rational Numbers - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter to prepare for questions on the HSPT exam about the differences between irrational and rational numbers and how to complete basic math problems with rational numbers. To improve your mathematical skills, our expert instructors will explain:
- What irrational and rational numbers are
- Using number lines to graph rational numbers
- Fraction and decimal notation of rational numbers
- Addition and subtraction with rational numbers
- Absolute values of rational numbers
Improve your retention of the material presented in these lessons by reading the lesson transcripts. Following these lessons take the lesson quizzes to discover any topics you don't understand, and improve your understanding of these subjects using the video tags to return to and study the sections of the lessons that explained them. If you develop any questions regarding the topics of this chapter, feel free to send them to our instructors with the teacher tabs of the lessons.
HSPT Test: Irrational & Rational Numbers Chapter Objectives
The HSPT is used by select Catholic high schools to make admission, scholarship and curriculum placement decisions. Eighth-grade students seeking admission or scholarships from these schools are required to answer the 298 multiple-choice questions in this test.
1. What are Irrational Numbers? - Definition & Examples
Irrational numbers may not be crazy, but they do sometimes bend our minds a little. Learn about common irrational numbers, like the square root of 2 and pi, as well as a few others that businessmen, artists, and scientists find useful.
2. What are Rational Numbers? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about rational numbers and their characteristics. We'll discover what they are, what they aren't and how to distinguish them from other types of numbers.
3. Graphing Rational Numbers on a Number Line
Number lines have many uses both in mathematics and everyday life. This lesson will teach you how to graph numbers on a number line and give real-world examples of how to use number lines.
4. Notation for Rational Numbers, Fractions & Decimals
How do fractions become decimals? And how do decimals become fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about the notation of rational numbers, fractions and decimals and learn how they're related.
5. Adding & Subtracting Rational Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to add and subtract rational numbers like a pro. Learn what is involved in adding and subtracting these types of numbers.
6. Finding the Absolute Value of a Rational Number
Watch this video lesson and you will learn how to deal with absolute values of simple numbers and more complex problems. Learn the order in which you should do calculations so that your answers are correct.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HSPT Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- HSPT Test: Quantitative Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Mathematical Sequences & Series
- HSPT Test: Understanding Real Numbers
- HSPT Test: Operations in Math
- HSPT Test: Understanding Integers
- HSPT Test: Solving & Graphing Inequalities
- HSPT Test: Using Estimation in Mathematics
- HSPT Test: Using Decimals
- HSPT Test: Understanding Fractions
- HSPT Test: Using Percents
- HSPT Test: Ratios & Proportion
- HSPT Test: Square Roots
- HSPT Test: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- HSPT Test: Scientific Notation
- HSPT Test: Standard Measurement
- HSPT Test: Introduction to Geometry
- HSPT Test: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- HSPT Test: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- HSPT Test: Properties of Lines
- HSPT Test: Plotting Graphs
- HSPT Test: Transformations
- HSPT Test: Triangle Basics
- HSPT Test: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- HSPT Test: The Pythagorean Theorem
- HSPT Test: Graphing Data
- HSPT Test: Data Analysis
- HSPT Test: Probability & Permutations
- HSPT Test: Properties of Functions
- HSPT Test: Graphing Functions
- HSPT Test: Factoring in Algebra
- HSPT Test: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- HSPT Test: Algebraic Distribution
- HSPT Test: Solving Rational Expressions
- HSPT Test: Linear Equations
- HSPT Test: Systems of Linear Equations
- HSPT Test: Mathematical Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Verbal Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Basics of Grammar
- HSPT Test: Spelling & Punctuation
- HSPT Test: Syntax & Sentence Structure
- HSPT Test: Interpreting Readings
- HSPT Test: Reading Comprehension
- HSPT Test: Understanding Meaning in Reading
- HSPT Test Flashcards