About This Chapter
HSPT Test: Mathematical Reasoning - Chapter Summary
In these lessons, our professional instructors explain some of the basics of mathematical reasoning. Follow along with our instructors in this series of short, engaging lesson videos to prepare for questions about:
- Conjectures in mathematics
- Connective reasoning
- Inductive and deductive reasoning
- Using critical thinking and logic in math
- Logical equivalence
For an additional review of the material, read over the lesson transcripts. These written overviews of the lessons can help you reinforce your comprehension of the material and provide you with a way to study the key terms and figures of the chapter. After each chapter, test your understanding of the material with the lesson quizzes and use the video tags from your quiz result to reinforce your understanding of the material.
HSPT Test: Mathematical Reasoning Chapter Objectives
The HSPT exam is an admissions test used by select Catholic high schools when making admission, scholarship, and curriculum placement decisions. On this exam, you will be asked to complete a series of 298 multiple-choice questions, in a two-hour and 30-minute testing session. These questions will be used to measure your academic skills, including 64 of which that will assess your knowledge and skills with mathematics. To improve your abilities answering these questions use this chapter to improve your mathematical reasoning skills.
1. Conjecture in Math: Definition & Example
This lesson will define the term conjecture, provide examples, and discuss conditions for writing them. We'll also highlight the use of conjectures by professionals and other people in their daily routines.
2. Reasoning in Mathematics: Connective Reasoning
Connective reasoning is reasoning that has an operation, or a way to connect two phrases. The five main logic connectives will be reviewed in this lesson.
3. Reasoning in Mathematics: Inductive and Deductive Reasoning
Many people think that deductive and inductive reasoning are the same thing. It is assumed these words are synonymous. They are not. This lesson reveals the reality of these two types of reasoning.
4. Critical Thinking and Logic in Mathematics
Logic has its own unique language and way of defining what is true and false. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can critically think in the language of logic while working with math.
5. Logic Laws: Converse, Inverse, Contrapositive & Counterexample
Logical statements can be useful, but only if we are able to determine their validity. In this lesson, we'll look at the various forms of a logical statement and see how they relate to each other.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HSPT Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- HSPT Test: Quantitative Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Mathematical Sequences & Series
- HSPT Test: Understanding Real Numbers
- HSPT Test: Operations in Math
- HSPT Test: Understanding Integers
- HSPT Test: Irrational & Rational Numbers
- HSPT Test: Solving & Graphing Inequalities
- HSPT Test: Using Estimation in Mathematics
- HSPT Test: Using Decimals
- HSPT Test: Understanding Fractions
- HSPT Test: Using Percents
- HSPT Test: Ratios & Proportion
- HSPT Test: Square Roots
- HSPT Test: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- HSPT Test: Scientific Notation
- HSPT Test: Standard Measurement
- HSPT Test: Introduction to Geometry
- HSPT Test: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- HSPT Test: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- HSPT Test: Properties of Lines
- HSPT Test: Plotting Graphs
- HSPT Test: Transformations
- HSPT Test: Triangle Basics
- HSPT Test: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- HSPT Test: The Pythagorean Theorem
- HSPT Test: Graphing Data
- HSPT Test: Data Analysis
- HSPT Test: Probability & Permutations
- HSPT Test: Properties of Functions
- HSPT Test: Graphing Functions
- HSPT Test: Factoring in Algebra
- HSPT Test: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- HSPT Test: Algebraic Distribution
- HSPT Test: Solving Rational Expressions
- HSPT Test: Linear Equations
- HSPT Test: Systems of Linear Equations
- HSPT Test: Verbal Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Basics of Grammar
- HSPT Test: Spelling & Punctuation
- HSPT Test: Syntax & Sentence Structure
- HSPT Test: Interpreting Readings
- HSPT Test: Reading Comprehension
- HSPT Test: Understanding Meaning in Reading
- HSPT Test Flashcards