About This Chapter
HSPT Test: Mathematical Sequences & Series - Chapter Summary
You can use this chapter to help guide your students through concepts such as identifying patterns, classifying arithmetic and geometric sequences, and calculating arithmetic series. Our short video lessons can help your students succeed on the exam by reviewing how to:
- Identify sequences of figures
- Determine relationships among picture pairs
- Evaluate variable expressions for arithmetic sequences
- Interpret summation notation
- Calculate geometric series
Expert instructors guide you through each of these concepts and more prepare your students for the test. With this knowledge at their disposal your students will take their HSPT tests with a greater sense of confidence in identifying patterns and a deeper understanding of mathematical sequences.
HSPT Test: Mathematical Sequences & Series Chapter Objectives
In this chapter, our short comprehensive video lessons and assessment quizzes help your students prepare to answer mathematical series and sequence questions on the HSPT's mathematics section. Our Mathematical Sequences & Series chapter gives your students the tools they need to answer questions regarding patterns relationships, classifying sequences, calculating series and much more. The lessons in our video series help your students by introducing strategies and solidify concepts related to sequences making the mathematics portion of the exam that much easier.
1. Identifying Patterns & Sequences of Figures
In this lesson, you'll learn how to identify and continue a pattern or sequence when you are given a series or collection of figures. You'll also find out about three different pattern or sequence types.
2. Working with Geometric Sequences
In this video lesson, we'll learn how to recognize when a sequence of numbers is a geometric sequence, how to find the common ratio and how to expand a sequence to as many numbers as we want!
3. Determining Relationships Among Picture Pairs
When you have two parallel lines and a line that intersects these parallel lines, you get some pretty interesting relationships between the angles formed by the lines. Learn about this and how easy it is in this lesson.
4. What is a Mathematical Sequence?
Math is often the most fun when it acts like a puzzle to be solved. The branch of math where this is the most true involves sequences. Get an introduction to the basics and important vocabulary, as well as learn where sequences appear in nature!
5. How to Find and Classify an Arithmetic Sequence
Arithmetic sequences are everywhere, and with a few tricks you learn here, you could end up looking like a psychic the next time you go to a movie or a football game!
6. Finding and Classifying Geometric Sequences
Want your YouTube video to get a lot of hits? Besides including a cute baby or an adorable cat, getting your video to have a big common ratio is the key. Learn what I'm talking about here!
7. How to Evaluate & Write Variable Expressions for Arithmetic Sequences
Being able to figure out sequences as well as describe them are some of the most important skills in math. In this lesson, we learn how to evaluate and write arithmetic sequences and geometric sequences.
8. Summation Notation and Mathematical Series
The capital Greek letter sigma might be most recognizable as a common symbol in a fraternity or sorority, but it's used for some pretty cool math tricks too. In this lesson, learn how to use sigma for things like determining how many seats are in Michigan Stadium.
9. How to Calculate an Arithmetic Series
In this lesson, you'll learn how to sum up any arithmetic sequence without having to add up each and every term. You'll never guess the circumstances that led to the discovery of this marvelous formula.
10. How to Calculate a Geometric Series
If you're not satisfied with knowing how many views your YouTube video will get any one day and need to know how many total views you're getting, geometric series are for you! Learn more in this lesson.
11. Arithmetic and Geometric Series: Practice Problems
There are many different types of problems concerning series and sequences - including some that are pretty abstract. From bouncing balls to adding up odd numbers, test your skills here with additional arithmetic and geometric series practice!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HSPT Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- HSPT Test: Quantitative Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Understanding Real Numbers
- HSPT Test: Operations in Math
- HSPT Test: Understanding Integers
- HSPT Test: Irrational & Rational Numbers
- HSPT Test: Solving & Graphing Inequalities
- HSPT Test: Using Estimation in Mathematics
- HSPT Test: Using Decimals
- HSPT Test: Understanding Fractions
- HSPT Test: Using Percents
- HSPT Test: Ratios & Proportion
- HSPT Test: Square Roots
- HSPT Test: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- HSPT Test: Scientific Notation
- HSPT Test: Standard Measurement
- HSPT Test: Introduction to Geometry
- HSPT Test: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- HSPT Test: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- HSPT Test: Properties of Lines
- HSPT Test: Plotting Graphs
- HSPT Test: Transformations
- HSPT Test: Triangle Basics
- HSPT Test: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- HSPT Test: The Pythagorean Theorem
- HSPT Test: Graphing Data
- HSPT Test: Data Analysis
- HSPT Test: Probability & Permutations
- HSPT Test: Properties of Functions
- HSPT Test: Graphing Functions
- HSPT Test: Factoring in Algebra
- HSPT Test: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- HSPT Test: Algebraic Distribution
- HSPT Test: Solving Rational Expressions
- HSPT Test: Linear Equations
- HSPT Test: Systems of Linear Equations
- HSPT Test: Mathematical Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Verbal Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Basics of Grammar
- HSPT Test: Spelling & Punctuation
- HSPT Test: Syntax & Sentence Structure
- HSPT Test: Interpreting Readings
- HSPT Test: Reading Comprehension
- HSPT Test: Understanding Meaning in Reading
- HSPT Test Flashcards