About This Chapter
HSPT Test: Perimeter, Area & Volume - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, we've put together video lessons that cover area, volume and perimeter. Some of the topics addressed include the formulas used to find surface areas of various shapes and the volume, perimeter and area of combined shapes. Once you complete this chapter, you should be able to:
- Determine the surface area of cylinders and pyramids
- Find the perimeter of polygons, triangles, rectangles, quadrilaterals and irregular or combined shapes
- Measure the area of regular polygons, rectangles and triangles
- Identify the area of complex figures and circles
- Calculate the volume of pyramids, prisms, cones, spheres and cylinders
Studying this chapter can take the stress out of your test preparations and makes getting ready for the exam easy. All of our videos and quizzes are available 24 hours a day on any mobile device or computer with an Internet connection. Help from one of our experts is just a few clicks away in the Dashboard if you need it.
1. What is Surface Area? - Definition & Formulas
In this lesson, you use general and specific formulas to learn how to find the surface area of three-dimensional shapes, such as cubes, prisms, spheres, cones and cylinders.
2. How to Find Surface Area of a Cylinder
Watch this video lesson to learn the formula you can use to find the surface area of a cylinder. Learn the measurements that you'll need as well as how to use them.
3. How to Find Surface Area of a Pyramid
In this video lesson, we will learn how to take any pyramid, whether it's a pyramid in Egypt or a little toy pyramid, and calculate how much paint we will need to paint it. Learn the formula and what is behind it.
4. Combined Figures: Perimeter, Area, and Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can break up the shapes in a combined figure to easily find the perimeter, area, and volume of the whole figure.
5. Finding the Perimeter of Polygons
In this video lesson, you will learn the process you need to take to find the perimeter of polygons. You will also learn that there is a shortcut if your polygon is a regular polygon.
6. Perimeter of Triangles and Rectangles
Without realizing it, we calculate and use the perimeter of triangles and rectangles in regular everyday situations. Learn more about the perimeter of triangles and rectangles in this lesson, and test your knowledge with a quiz.
7. Measuring the Area of Regular Polygons: Formula & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn why a regular polygon makes your life easier when it comes to finding the area inside one. Learn the one formula for area that will work for any type of regular polygon.
8. Area of Triangles and Rectangles
How do you find out the area of rectangles and triangles? Learn how in this lesson! We'll look at the formulas, then practice solving problems for each shape.
9. Perimeter of Quadrilaterals and Irregular or Combined Shapes
Sometimes you need to figure out a shape's perimeter whether you have all the information you want or not. In this lesson, you'll learn how to find the perimeter of any quadrilateral as well as more complicated irregular and combined shapes.
10. Area of Complex Figures
Finding the area of shapes isn't always as simple as it is with squares and rectangles. In this lesson, you'll learn how to find the area of complex figures. This includes finding the area of unusual shapes and finding the area of parts of shapes.
11. Circles: Area and Circumference
Understanding how to calculate the area and circumference of circles plays a vital role in some of our everyday functions. They serve as the foundation for operating with three-dimensional figures. Learn more about the area and circumference of circles in this lesson.
12. Volume of Prisms and Pyramids
In this lesson, we'll learn about prisms and pyramids. We'll look at the different types of prisms and pyramids, as well as practice calculating volume for each shape.
13. Volume of Cylinders, Cones, and Spheres
In this lesson, we'll learn about the volume formulas for cylinders, cones and spheres. We'll also practice using the formula in a variety of real-world examples where knowing how to calculate volume is helpful.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HSPT Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- HSPT Test: Quantitative Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Mathematical Sequences & Series
- HSPT Test: Understanding Real Numbers
- HSPT Test: Operations in Math
- HSPT Test: Understanding Integers
- HSPT Test: Irrational & Rational Numbers
- HSPT Test: Solving & Graphing Inequalities
- HSPT Test: Using Estimation in Mathematics
- HSPT Test: Using Decimals
- HSPT Test: Understanding Fractions
- HSPT Test: Using Percents
- HSPT Test: Ratios & Proportion
- HSPT Test: Square Roots
- HSPT Test: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- HSPT Test: Scientific Notation
- HSPT Test: Standard Measurement
- HSPT Test: Introduction to Geometry
- HSPT Test: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- HSPT Test: Properties of Lines
- HSPT Test: Plotting Graphs
- HSPT Test: Transformations
- HSPT Test: Triangle Basics
- HSPT Test: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- HSPT Test: The Pythagorean Theorem
- HSPT Test: Graphing Data
- HSPT Test: Data Analysis
- HSPT Test: Probability & Permutations
- HSPT Test: Properties of Functions
- HSPT Test: Graphing Functions
- HSPT Test: Factoring in Algebra
- HSPT Test: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- HSPT Test: Algebraic Distribution
- HSPT Test: Solving Rational Expressions
- HSPT Test: Linear Equations
- HSPT Test: Systems of Linear Equations
- HSPT Test: Mathematical Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Verbal Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Basics of Grammar
- HSPT Test: Spelling & Punctuation
- HSPT Test: Syntax & Sentence Structure
- HSPT Test: Interpreting Readings
- HSPT Test: Reading Comprehension
- HSPT Test: Understanding Meaning in Reading
- HSPT Test Flashcards