About This Chapter
HSPT Test: Properties of Lines - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter cover a number of geometrical line properties as well as methods for using those principles within mathematical problems. Practicing these actions and reviewing their components will ensure you don't get stuck on this portion of the HSPT exam. The video lessons included in this chapter will go over geometrical laws pertaining to:
- Line segments and rays
- Points and angles
- Making geometric constructions
- The midpoint theorem and division of line segments
- Various angles, including vertical and adjacent
- Constructing angle bisectors, equilateral triangles, squares, and regular hexagons
You can track your progress and navigate through the lesson topics using the timeline feature, which will allow you to quick-jump to key points within the videos. Taught by professional instructors, each lesson includes a transcript as an additional learning option as well as a self-check quiz at the end of every lesson within the chapter. These quizzes can be taken and re-taken until you feel ready to move on.
1. Line Segments & Rays: Definition & Measurement
Watch this video lesson to learn the difference between a line segment and a ray. You will also learn how to measure and add line segments. Learn why you can't measure or add a ray.
2. Points, Lines & Angles in Geometry
After watching this video lesson, you should understand the basic terms that form the foundation of geometry. Learn what a point is, what a line is, what an angle is, and learn about a special type of angle called a right angle.
3. Practice Making Geometric Constructions with Tools
There are a number of tools available to geometry students to help make their work a bit easier. In this lesson, we will review how to use many of them in order for you to get the most out of every geometry class.
4. Geometric Constructions Using Lines and Angles
Watch this video lesson to learn about geometric construction and how you can copy line segments and angles without using any numbers. All you need is a straight edge and a compass.
5. Line Segment Bisection & Midpoint Theorem: Geometric Construction
Watch this video lesson and you will learn how to bisect a line segment without measurements using just a compass and a straight edge. You'll also learn about the midpoint theorem, which lets you calculate the midpoint if you have the measurements.
6. Dividing Line Segments into Equal Parts: Geometric Construction
Watch this video lesson to learn one way to easily divide any line segment into as many equal parts as you need. Also, learn where in real life this skill comes in handy.
7. Types of Angles: Vertical, Corresponding, Alternate Interior & Others
In addition to basic right, acute, or obtuse angles, there are many other types of angles or angle relationships. In this lesson, we will learn to identify these angle relationships and discuss their measurements.
8. Complementary, Supplementary, Vertical & Adjacent Angles
After watching this video lesson, you will know how to locate complementary, supplementary, vertical, and adjacent angles. You will understand how easy it is to visually see them. You will also know what to look for.
9. Constructing an Angle Bisector in Geometry
Watch this video lesson to learn a cool way to split an angle in half. You can use this method to split a pie slice in half where you can be sure each side is equal.
10. Constructing Equilateral Triangles, Squares, and Regular Hexagons Inscribed in Circles
Constructing an accurate triangle, square, or hexagon within a circle is a matter of a few simple steps, and can be extremely practical. In this lesson, we'll practice the construction of those three shapes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HSPT Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- HSPT Test: Quantitative Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Mathematical Sequences & Series
- HSPT Test: Understanding Real Numbers
- HSPT Test: Operations in Math
- HSPT Test: Understanding Integers
- HSPT Test: Irrational & Rational Numbers
- HSPT Test: Solving & Graphing Inequalities
- HSPT Test: Using Estimation in Mathematics
- HSPT Test: Using Decimals
- HSPT Test: Understanding Fractions
- HSPT Test: Using Percents
- HSPT Test: Ratios & Proportion
- HSPT Test: Square Roots
- HSPT Test: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- HSPT Test: Scientific Notation
- HSPT Test: Standard Measurement
- HSPT Test: Introduction to Geometry
- HSPT Test: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- HSPT Test: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- HSPT Test: Plotting Graphs
- HSPT Test: Transformations
- HSPT Test: Triangle Basics
- HSPT Test: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- HSPT Test: The Pythagorean Theorem
- HSPT Test: Graphing Data
- HSPT Test: Data Analysis
- HSPT Test: Probability & Permutations
- HSPT Test: Properties of Functions
- HSPT Test: Graphing Functions
- HSPT Test: Factoring in Algebra
- HSPT Test: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- HSPT Test: Algebraic Distribution
- HSPT Test: Solving Rational Expressions
- HSPT Test: Linear Equations
- HSPT Test: Systems of Linear Equations
- HSPT Test: Mathematical Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Verbal Reasoning
- HSPT Test: Basics of Grammar
- HSPT Test: Spelling & Punctuation
- HSPT Test: Syntax & Sentence Structure
- HSPT Test: Interpreting Readings
- HSPT Test: Reading Comprehension
- HSPT Test: Understanding Meaning in Reading
- HSPT Test Flashcards